UltravioletPhotography

[IR + Misc.] Covid-19 Discussion and Birna's C-19 Photo-Collage

Italy seems to have surpassed the peak. We will stay at home for a long time. Every "measure" (is that the right word?) will hold at least up to April 13th.

Stefano, that is good news! Are you able to continue your studies at home? I hope so.

So far my husband's cousins in Rome and Benevento are OK. One friend in Italy did get coronavirus, but has recovered now, thank heavens.

Yes, "measure" can be defined as "preventive action". The word is often used with a preceding adjective as in "preventive measure".

If you are interested in the 1918 flu, I can recommend the book "The Great Influenza" by John Barry. The first part of the book covers the state of medicine at the time, which was in the process of evolving towards science based medicine. While not directly flu related, this part is quite interesting, at least to me. The second half covers the flu pandemic itself. Human nature doesn't change much, and some of the things that exacerbated the situation then can be seen today.

Stefano, that is good news! Are you able to continue your studies at home? I hope so.

Yes, we study at home. We have online lessons on Google Meet, and I had a physics oral test today. It lasted almost an hour and a half. We don't know how the "esame di Maturità" will be this year. It may consist of the oral test only, or the oral test and a written test, or we could even do it online. Normally it consists of two written tests (Italian and math+physics together for me) and an oral one. All teachers will be "internal" (commissari interni) this year to limit people movements. It basically means that we will be examined and judged by our teachers only, not by teachers from other schools (as it should be). Normally half of them are internal and half external.

Stefano, so very interesting, isn't it, that the Internet has given us this capability to study at home if needed and even take an online oral exam.

Steve, thank you for the book recommendation. It sounds strange to say that I "enjoy" reading such books, but I can't think what other word to use. For years I've been reading such books about listeria, e. coli, influenza and similar. I thought strongly about going for a degree in microbiology, but mathematics won out. I think the turning point was when I was enrolled in the pathogenic microbiology course. We had a demo about what to do if, for example, we dropped our cholera samples. I seem to recall it involved pouring a giant jar of disinfectant over everything. That was the day when I decided that mathematics was the choice for me. :grin: I dropped the patho course and picked up another math course instead.

Stefano, so very interesting, isn't it, that the Internet has given us this capability to study at home if needed and even take an online oral exam.

Yes, 30 years ago it would have been much more difficult if not impossible. USB cameras or simply webcams were very expensive, if they even esisted. The Internet is literally the only thing connecting us now. If it wasn't for it we would be really isolated, the only way to comunicate with others would have been using a smartphone.

Or by hand-written letters. :lol:

In my grandmother's youth, for example, most communication was by letter because rural areas did not yet have phones in every home. Updates between families were very slow. And telegrams were usually received with fear because they were only used to convey bad news. Now here we are with *instant* updates whether we want them or not. :rolleyes: :lol:

Yes, the internet (DARPA net) was indeed developed for situations like this (or perhaps an atomic holocaust).

Dr. Anne Zink, Alaska’s Chief Medical Officer had reference to an excellent (but somewhat long) modeling video today in her presentation:

Perhaps ordering the groceries on-line for home delivery next time?

"Nice" historic overview in one figure. Second relapse is very well reflected in the models. The health authorities are of course very well aware. But the problem can be that the political/economic climate and populations cannot tolerate measures any more. Interestingly Columbus, Ohio had two peaks even if not lifting distancing measures during the whole period. Perhaps the population got too relaxed about things even if measures were still in place. The art is going to be finding the best balance.

"Nice" historic overview in one figure. Second relapse is very well reflected in the models. The health authorities are of course very well aware. But the problem can be that the political/economic climate and populations cannot tolerate measures any more. Interestingly Columbus, Ohio had two peaks even if not lifting distancing measures during the whole period. Perhaps the population got too relaxed about things even if measures were still in place. The art is going to be finding the best balance.

Thanks Oivind

Hopefully a vaccine will be found soon.

During this pandemic isolation period, does anyone else find themselves not getting very much done by way of chores, studies, artistic endeavours, etc. in spite of having an excess of time not taken up by the usual out-of-house errands and social interactions? At the end of the day I'm perplexed that all the things I had planned to do that day which did not get done. Maybe I'm spending too much time reading about Covid-19 online and watching the news reports? It seems important to stay informed, but where does the time go? Also, instead of working on photos, maybe I'm spending too much time on iPad games to "take my mind off things"?
Andrea, I'm like you. I noticed this trait when I first retired - I seemed to get less of the household and discretionary things done. I think the issue is that there is no time pressure - you can always leave it to tomorrow. Whereas when you're at work your leisure time is limited so you have to get thinhs done in the small amount of time you have before going back to work.

It's easy to experience a drained energy during enforced isolation or quarantine. Thus, we need to activate ourselves to "recharge our batteries".

Who among us will be the first to post the UV "signature" of a face mask??

It's easy to experience a drained energy during enforced isolation or quarantine. Thus, we need to activate ourselves to "recharge our batteries".

Who among us will be the first to post the UV "signature" of a face mask??

What type of mask do you want?

We may be required to all wear masks. Have to see. So homemade options look good. I don't know how effective they are though.

"Thanks Oivind

Hopefully a vaccine will be found soon."

There are a couple efforts now. The lightning speed we are jumping on this is amazing. Some vaccines have taken over 30 years. We may be close to get some good data for one on this in less than 18 months. 12 months time frame might even be possible if the current trials in Washington state look promising.

• 2 weeks later...

So now I maybe filtering in the UVC size, but on my face. Maryland says we must wear masks.

Me looking at the fun in things remembered that N95's filter at 300nm. Good ones filter particles in 100nm to 300nm size range.

So after I image with a 254bp25 filter. I will stick one on my face to go outside.

Hi Everyone! I hope you and your families and friends all are OK in this difficult time. It seems as though there might be a little bit of actual light at the end of the tunnel instead of that onrushing train we first saw. I certainly hope so.

My state of New Mexico is doing reasonably well with handling the pandemic in most areas. On New Mexico's tribal lands (the Navaho Nation and the Pueblos, for example) there are still major problems because of lack of supplies, lack of hospital beds in very rural areas, and also because of rapid spread of the virus due to a more communal living style. (Oldsters remain with families instead of being sent off to "homes". An excellent practice until Coronavirus came along.) I wish someone like Bill Gates would buy them a tractor-trailer full of masks, gloves and sanitizer. Heck, I wish Bill Gates would buy us *all* some packages of masks, gloves and sanitizer!

A few days ago we had a late snowstorm (about 4") and about 3 days of below freezing night temperatures. The snow was beautiful and mostly all melted off in the next day's warm sun. Warm sun, cool air here at 7000 feet. The unusual hard freeze did hurt some, but not all, of the tree blossoms on the peach and the plum. So I am still hoping to get a few peaches and plums in the fall. I was worried that the bees, flies and butterflies would take a hit. I don't know where they managed to hide during those hard night freezes, but 3 or 4 days later I saw them all out again on remaining tree blossoms and on the euphorbia (spurge) which is still producing nectaries in the spurge version of a flower.

Instead of making photographs I have been temporarily been moving rocks from Point A to Point B. Hard work is very therapeutic. And the slate path around my house is now tidied up with a new rock border to prevent pea gravel between slate steps from washing or sliding away. (Well, part of the path is tidied up. I still have more to do.) I don't know if it is a sign of the times or just that I am simple-minded, but I kept being distracted by the composition and shapes & colours of all the rocks around here. I've made spiral rock designs and build little cairns and whatnot. What a total goof! More fun than doing laundry though.

We have a *lot* of rocks. And quite a few Rock Squirrels as well.

So, David, any news on the Coronavirus vaccine front? Man-o-man, we are all really hoping for that vaccine soon.

How did your 254bp25 "mask" work out?

I found a chart somewhere arout various fabrics filtering ability. I'll post it in a moment.

At least I know what kind of mask to wear next time the good old vacuum-cleaner is pulled out ...

Spring has come at last, with decent temperatures rising well over 0C and even tempting some deciduous trees to enter leafing. I'll try to move outdoors on occasion visiting spots devoid of humans.

Why suggest a vacuum cleaner bag and not a coffee filter? Must be more people that don't drink coffee than I realise. I gave up coffee in 2010. People are still surprised I can stay up a good 20 hours of the day. The secret is ginger. Much better for you and gives you energy throughout the day.

I know nothing new about a vaccine. Only that New York is pushing hard on the human rabbits that may have generated one for us and Canada's Prime Minister stated the country would stay closed until one was developed. The guy really doesn't have a clue.

After all this time cut of from normalcy, with a surfeit of opportunities to think, the first impression of our common enemy has crystallised itself into a visual form. Like having at last an electron microscope with sufficient resolving power?

E202004200267_First_impression_Covid-19.jpg

Such a pity it is this dangerous. I rather like its appearance if not its ramifications.

What this *really* is? I leave that to the reader or just let your imagination flow.