UltravioletPhotography

[IR + Misc.] Covid-19 Discussion and Birna's C-19 Photo-Collage

The normal human body temperature is 37C, which is 98.6F.

Alot of it sounds reasonable. However, from what I have been reading it seems there are at least 2 main variants of this virus. One that first causes digestive issues, with loss of appetite, diarrhoea.

The other causes dry coughing, shortness of breath.

If you are sick, contact your doctor. Wear a mask to reduce the spread.

There is an insane amount of miss information out on this. So please be careful.

Just read a weather report claiming that the increase in summer UV should help to reduce this virus as its sensitive to UV. Really. Think about that, as the UVC this thing is sensitive to isn't outside.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/uv-radiation-from-the-sun-increases-by-a-factor-of-10-by-summer-and-could-be-key-in-slowing-covid-19/703393/amp

UV light can actually activate viruses.

The normal human body temperature is 37C, which is 98.6F.

Alot of it sounds reasonable. However, from what I have been reading it seems there are at least 2 main variants of this virus. One that first causes digestive issues, with loss of appetite, diarrhoea.

The other causes dry coughing, shortness of breath.

If you are sick, contact your doctor. Wear a mask to reduce the spread.

There is an insane amount of miss information out on this. So please be careful.

Just read a weather report claiming that the increase in summer UV should help to reduce this virus as its sensitive to UV. Really. Think about that, as the UVC this thing is sensitive to isn't outside.

https://www.accuweat...d-19/703393/amp

Not working in Australia....

BTW australian english is probably the most different from the "original" british one. In middle school a woman was doing an internship to become an english teacher, and made a lesson in our class about aussie english. I clearly remember it.

BTW australian english is probably the most different from the "original" british one.

Hi, Stefano. When travel restrictions are lifted, treat yourself to a visit to Newcastle or Glasgow if you want to hear variations on the Queen's English!

Still in my school (high school this time) we had a mother tongue teacher that worked together with our “normal” teacher. He tought us about the London dialect (I think it was London dialect) and it was so strange! Like saying dog instead of phone because “dog and bone” rhyme with “phone”... also something about rabbits and nukes if I remember right.

Stefano, ' strine ' is a result of the ' cockney ' spoken by the convicts sent out 200 plus years ago, with added local content & colloquialism, even some Aboriginal words crept in too.

Very different to American English. Even our neighbours in New Zealand have their own special way in pronunciation.

Australia, pronounced ' Astraya or just Straya ' has had a very difficult economical time for the last 6 months with severe drought, then huge devastating bush fires, followed by major flooding, all in such a short time. Then with little time to recover we have this global pandemic....which could continue for up to 6 months at best. Remember the southern hemisphere is coming into winter.

We are facing a bleak future of recession & possible world depression, tough times ahead, for all of us......?

Our interest rate is 0.25%.

Yes, I also thought that down there is all in reverse, and if we are hoping that warmth will help to defeat this virus, you are approaching winter, and people are more vulnerable when it is cold outside. You (plural) already know what is happening in the rest of the world, so you already know what to do: staying at home, staying at least 1 meter away from others and so on. The sooner you act, the better.

Also the world is flipped for you. Maps have the south pole up and the north pole down, with Straya in the middle... up and down are relative.

The moon is flipped too.

Thanks Stafano,

I am a 'house body' & live alone, so I have been in self isolation & quarantined for the past nearly 70 years... :grin:

Thanks Stafano,

I am a 'house body' & live alone, so I have been in self isolation & quarantined for the past nearly 70 years... :grin:

Good for you. Elder people (above 60-70 years old, I guess you have that age) have an increased risk of getting complications.
A doctor on the news a couple of days ago said that there was misinformation going around that if you have a wet cough (coughing up phlegm/sputum), you don't have COVID. He said this was definitely false.

Everyone, please consult your national board of health websites or your local board of health websites for accurate information about symptoms. The chart notes that "information is evolving". We don't really have full information about symptoms especially because viruses mutate as the pandemic continues.

One problem with UVC sanitizing wands is that the light cannot reach every nook and cranny.

I have seen very bad mis-information about the safety of UVC sanitizing wands. One website assures purchasers that germicidal UVC is not harmful to humans. I really despair these days about the C-19 scams and hustles which are occuring.

Boo!

(thermal image, wearing NORTH 7600 full face mask)

post-87-0-47548700-1585111428.jpg

I am wondering if anyone here is doing all of this in the video below when it comes to groceries? Wow... thoughts?

https://youtu.be/k348fKTTpEI

Interesting video. I don't think he waited long enough after applying hand sanitizer. You need to scrub your hands when they are wet with hand sanitizer until they are naturally dry. Don't wipe off hand sanitizer.

Also he seemed to contaminate his fruits after washing in a sink. Transfer washed friuts into a clean colander and then rinse off. His method will pick up staph and E.coli.

His general handling was a little off.

If anyone here plans on doing this. Please validate your technique. You can easily do that with dry hands, cover them in flour or baby powder. This is white, loose material and will represent contamination after you touch something. See were the flour ends up, if you can remove it.

In some of my labs we used a fluorescent powder. And didn't tell people. Then walked in with a light and could see it on people foreheads, pants everywhere.

Aseptic technique can be tricky but you really have to be careful.

I am not saying not to or to do this. But if you do plan to, practice what is actually needed to do.

Get a bag. Cover your hands with a light visible powder. Then pick up things from your cupboard and move it around in your hands to read the ingredient label.

You should now have a visible amount of powder on your product that you can see and is relavent.

Then load up your bag and practice cleaning.

In the video the person picked up a bag of what looked like rice. Plopped it down on the clean counter. Wiped it on one side. Then flipped it over and wiped the other side. That would contaminate the just wiped down side and contaminate every other thing that went down onto the "clean" counter.

If it was covered in flour you would see things more dirty on the clean side than dirty side.

Also doing this he did not clean his hands while cleaning the thing. You need to do both as your hands are dirty as soon as you touch the article. Moving your dirty hand around the article as you clean it, just spreads things. Best to wear gloves and spray the gloves as you spray the article.

Many mistakes here. Don't get a false sense of security and take risks as you think its all good now.

Also if you wash your fruit they way he does it will not last 3 days. Soaking fruit and scrubbing with soap will break down the natural oils. He would need to cut it up and freeze it for storage. Always best to wash vegetable and fruit immediately before you eat it.

The 3 day survival of the virus is not a hard fast rule. Its determined at a specific temperature and humidity. If you store your food in your frezzer or a cold car for 3 days, we have no idea what happened to the virus.

I don't know how cold or heat affects it. We do know it needs moisture. So if you can store articles in very low humidity area, that would be good to help dry it out.

Another way to do it, get some clean reusable containers that will fit and hold the various foods.

Remove the content of each package, dumping each into clean containers (or however, gloves/spoon...?).

Dispose of the packaging containers.

Store, refrigerate, freeze the various new containers.

This needs no cleaning, except the fruit however you wish to do that.

If you ask me, that guy's process is a nightmare, just get some plastic containers.

Well here we go down the old slippery slope. US citizens can thank their federal government for this one, but of course I'm not going to name names because that would constitute a political statement. There are 49% of the people in this country who believe the federal government is handling the coronavirus crisis well. SERIOUSLY?

I know this is what the hospitals must do, but that we have arrived at this point in the US is simply boggling my mind. I never never never would have thought this could happen.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 4.58.42 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 4.58.57 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 4.58.06 PM.jpg

P.S. If I survive coronavirus in the US, then I promise to .

Birna, please remove this post if you think I have stepped over the line. Thank you.

The implied meaning is crystal clear to me. We have had similar discussions over here as well, and the consensus is to do our utmost to avoid the disheartening dilemmas. However years of austerity measures and privatisation have had repercussions on what services hospitals can provide in an unprecedented emergency such as C-19. Politicians now stumble over each other in a struggle to provide economic support and reallocated resources for our hospitals. Hopefully it isn't too late.

Statistics so far show 10% of the confirmed new cases are hospital staff. I've seen similar figures from Italy?

Statistics so far show 10% of the confirmed new cases are hospital staff. I've seen similar figures from Italy?

I don't remember the numbers, but I too heard of something like this.

Yes here in the US, it hasn't gotten bad yet. We wait for the slow clear eye of the hurricane to step out and then get walluped.

Best to keep staying positive and stay inside.

US has the 3rd largest number right now, almost 69,000+.

China, 81+

Italy, 74+

US, 69+

US is a large place, so has a more potential to come, give it a few weeks or more, wild fire.

Probably everyone will get it eventually, but best to hold out as long as you can.

I doubt it will go away, it is probably like the flu, what goes around...

What gets me, is how everyone is blaming it on someone else.

Not a good time to blame others.

Oh so its all your fault Cadmium. :p

Yes I know, we are all children at heart. I didn't do it, they did.