UltravioletPhotography

Hellow from Poland (Minsk Mazowiecki)

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

I'm going to use it as a daily camera, "project" will be to photograph under KrCl 222nm light.

I *think* it may work.

- Camera with quartz glass (passing from 180nm).

- UV-Nikkor (good down to 200nm).

- Edmund Optics 220nm bandpass filter.

- 40W 222nm KrCl lamp (radiant power probably around 2W or hopefully more).

• 2 weeks later...
lukaszgryglicki

Fuji arrived to my hotel in Detroit. I only have one lens (GFX 50/3.5 pancake) and only Hoya R72 or full spectrum - those are some first shots ever.

Obviously 50/3.5 have IR hotspot.

I also have SEU Mk2, didn't tried yet. Will do probably tomorrow.

small_DSCF0031.jpg

small_DSCF0034.jpg

small_DSCF0035.jpg

small_DSCF0046.jpg

small_DSCF0052.jpg

small_DSCF0057.jpg

small_DSCF0060.jpg

small_DSCF0062.jpg

small_DSCF0064.jpg

small_DSCF0068.jpg

small_DSCF0070.jpg

small_DSCF0072.jpg

small_DSCF0077.jpg

small_DSCF0084.jpg

small_DSCF0086.jpg

I look forward to your tests when you get it back home. 

Should be a fun monochrome camera though in the mean time.

Do any of the fuji film modes effect the results? 

lukaszgryglicki

So I'm able to shoot with both Hoya RM90 (50% transmission at 900nm and then more above 900nm) and even (unexpected) UVR optics UVBplus (this one: https://www.uvroptics.com/index.php?UVBplus).

I only have Fuji GF 50/3.5 GFX native lens, so waaaay to modern to pass much of UV, so this probably get upper upper part of UVBplus curve - exposure times are seconds in full daylight, but I'm able to see through EVF and focus using Lv which is totally unexpected. Note black windows of our hotel in IR (I was scared inside hotel that I can't make IR photos, I was thinking that Dan forgot to remove IR blocker, but those are just hotel windows), also note hotel name in UV (it is not visible at all). For UV focus is poor - I have no tripod and was just supporting against the walls. IR images have serious hotspot (it was less visibl with Hoya 720, but very visible with Hoya RM90)

So I'm expecting to have a lot more fun with UV-Nikkor when I get back home.

small_DSCF0196.jpg

small_DSCF0199.jpg

small_DSCF0202.jpg

small_DSCF0204.jpg

• 1 month later...
lukaszgryglicki

Some UV-B only photos (Invisible Vision 308nm bandpass + Hoya U340 4mm to kill IR leaks even more).

GFX 50R mono/quartz + UV-Nikkor.

Processed by AccuRaw monochrome.

f around 8-16, t around 15s-2min, ISO usually about 400-1600.

I already rp4esented this stack before and it has no leaks, even in UV-A, my window glasses are pitch black and when I close window I cannot do any photo indoor no matter ISO 12800 or even Hi1/Hi2 and exposure 4minutes or more, f at 4.5 (max), but when I open window all is quite good, only the amount of UV-B is extremely low, even outside.

When I checked charts for IV 308nm and Hoya U340 it looks like I'm getting mostly 300-320nm.On the last photo, there is a bus car - it is white in normal light... glasses are transparent but not in the photos.

conv_BBBW1150.jpg

conv_BBBW1160.jpg

conv_BBBW1166.jpg

conv_BBBW1166b.jpg

conv_BBBW1149.jpg

4 hours ago, colinbm said:

Good to see some UVB.

Colin, you cannot see UVB! it is way beyond the visible range!!! 😃😄

( I know what you ment to say)

lukaszgryglicki

This was the first sunny dany that I had any time to do anything, will be much more when I have time - this is what I miss all the time.

Yep that’s UVB. It’s a dark dark world out there. Kind of suits the winter solstice. 

Can you also do the same stuff in UVA so we can see how it changes?

lukaszgryglicki

BTW: I would really really like to see UVC world, but I know its impossible - UVC is only limiteted to small items that I can iluminate with my UV-C sources, but I still think I'm getting mostly leaks :-(

The black windows of the "bus car" is not a sure sign of UV-B because most modern cars use special laminated safety glass.

It is a three layer laminate where the outer layers are rather thin glass, while the inner layer normally is made of polycarbonate.

Polycarbonate transmit just a bit of the UV-A spectrum if at all.

Here is an example of how a reasonably modern silver metallic car looks like photographed with a typical UV-A stack:

634652448_ScreenShot2022-06-06at07_10_29.png.08b73d166ef6965c9e5d6f2a2b54ce3d.png