UltravioletPhotography

Slow Load Times

Lately I have had very slow page downloads, especially with any images typically 100-150kB/s.

This is only for this forum. 

As I have a GBit/s fiber connection it feels really slow

Extremely slow here since the upgrade, both loading pages and images, using Google Chrome.

lonesome_dave

Everything looks fine from here on the latest Firefox and Edge both running on Win 10.

There now are -- unfortunately -- periods of unbearable slowness that alternate with somewhat snappier response.  Still UVP is among the slower sites.

I'm using Firefox browsers basically, and UVP was much better responding before.

moondigger

I have not noticed any issues at all, using Safari on a Mac. Seems snappy as it always was. I tried loading the image-heavy topic StephanN identified above. The thread (and photos) loaded almost instantly.

I also tried loading that same thread in Firefox and in Chrome on the same Mac. In Firefox, the text loaded instantly and the images took (maybe) 2 seconds to load completely. In Chrome, everything loaded as quickly as it had in Safari.

UVP site speeds fluctuate wildly. Sometimes the site responds "normal" like any other, sometimes response is glacial.

Andrea B.

Well, let me look through the logs to try to determine whether there are slowdowns on the UVP end. I haven't noticed anything slow here. It's possible that you are experiencing throttles from your local ISP. Or maybe we are getting "crawled" again by an AI scraper which wants to learn about UV photography. 🙄

We do not seem to be a highly active, highly trafficked site. But if need be, I can go up a level on the server side.

The link from Stephan (above) loaded instantly for my Macbook/Safari setup.

Andrea B.

This was interesting: The Best Web Browsers of 2024

a screen shot from there....

ssh_ 2024-01-24 at 12.13.05 PM.jpg

NOTE THAT browsers can be speeded up by 

• Clearing caches
  • Clearing cookies
  • Closing unused tabs or excess tabs.
  • Get rid of excess extensions.

That's also from the linked article. But you've also heard some of it from me occasionally. "-)

Andrea B.

Here are my results using the recommended ISP speed checkers:  Speedtest.netFast.com, CloudFlare.

Looks like the Speedtest.net provides the most information.

My Macbook is running OS Monterey V 12.7.2.

I'm using the Safari browser.

ssh_ 2024-01-24 at 12.26.21 PM.jpg

ssh_ 2024-01-24 at 12.26.54 PM.jpg

ssh_ 2024-01-24 at 12.28.04 PM.jpg

lukaszgryglicki

My current ISP isn't that fast, but the site runs very fast.

Browser is Chrome (newest) and OS is macOS (newest) on M1 laptop:

image.png.02cfe4796500463da1869c066a4da70d.png

dabateman

I don't have any issues,  but my speed test is 648.95 Mbps for downloads. My uploads is also about 10x of lukaszgryglicki. 

Andrea B.

David, you've got superspeed internet!! Do you work from home? I don't know if I could get that fast here.

moondigger

My brother has Verizon gigabit FIOS. I wish it was available where I live because I could make excellent use of the fast upload speeds. (I send a copy of all my files to a remote location.)

I have Spectrum cable internet at my house. The download speeds are good (550 Mb/s) but the upload speed is much slower (22-25 Mb/s). 

My connection is reasonably fast.

Down, 70Mb/S and up, 65Mb/s

The hardware for the connection to my apartment can deliver about 10 times faster.

That is what I got about 10 years ago before everybody started using all digital streaming services.  

I do not get any speed issues from other sites. Updating CAD packages of several GB is not a problem.

Only UVP is slow!

When I select My Attachments in my profile I get pages with rows of links and a smallish tumbnail-image for each attachment.

Those load one at the time and last time I checked one of them took 10s to load.

One My Attachment page took ca. 3 min to load just now. 

Before such a page took 1-2s to load and finding old post was easy.

Just now I have 37 pages there.

It is not related to the browser or OS.

I have tried several browsers and a few MacOS plus Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The problem is more or less the same.

Just 10 Minutes ago it was impossible for me to progress past the first page, to sign in, etc. I tried Firefox, Edge, Opera and my mobile, to no avail.

Download speed was 264 Mbps, and all other sites were loading superfast. Now it works at least in opera, so I can post this reply.

I can't see how this behaviour can be blamed on the users, I am sorry to say, if almost everybody experiences problems like this. I'll just have to wait couple of weeks

Andrea: doesn't your provider give you access-stats for your site? Then you would be able to see if there was a crawler active.

One more thing: when I ping ultravioletphotography.com (143.95.108.235), the usual response time is 430 ms, but with the standard setting of 4 pings, it is very rare that I get 3 or 4 replys, time-outs are abundant. Perhaps other members can try this and see whether they are having the same result

Just now:

50 pings

28 replies (min=383ms, max=429ms, avg=416ms)

22 lost

TTL=44

google.com:

50 pings

50 replies (min=16ms, max=35ms, avg=17ms)

TTL=110

Can it be that your provider has changed something regarding TTL? I presume that with 44, if it's in seconds, this is not an issue, but perhaps your provider has mad other changes?

I tried to write a personal message to Andrea, but the message text field is not loaded correctly.

I could have written the message externally and attach but did not do that.

Uploading even the smallest of images is also glacial in speed.Screenshot2024-01-26at08_50_53.png.dc6e0e9ac41a5d59e942fa87e8d63bbc.pngScreenshot2024-01-26at08_50_53.png.dc6e0e9ac41a5d59e942fa87e8d63bbc.png

Andrea B.

I hear ya! I'm looking at things now. Will report back.

Andrea B.

Log Check: OK

errLog.jpgsysLogs.jpg

Ping UVP

pingUVP.jpg

Ping Google

pingGoogle.jpg

So, Google ping is faster than UVP ping. It shouldn't be surprising that Google can serve much faster than UVP. But do note that my UVP ping is NOT showing the lengthy times which Stephan posted. Hmmmmm.......

Now going to check other stuff.