UltravioletPhotography

Quicktest of three older Canon TS-E lenses

I have lately bought a few more Canon TS-E lenses to complement the TS-E 24mm I got a long time ago.

My goal was mainly to use them for NIR Photography. 
After my last published topic Kai asked for information about the UV-reach.

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/5846-a-visit-to-borgeby-slott/#comment-62641

Here is the result of a sloppy quick test without a high power light source and integrating sphere.

I just used a collimated beam from my deuterium light source and then scaled the graphs "to taste" to a level I guess is reasonably correct.

The measurements as usual  made with my Ocean Optics Flame wide-band UV-VIS-NIR spectrometer.

Due to the truncated light-source there is only valid information up to the violet band.

Here I only present a narrow wavelength-band with the valid information in the mid part. 

Tested lenses and their graphs are 

• Canon TS-E 24/3.5 L.  Purple
  • Canon TS-E 45/2.8.     Red
  • Canon TS-E 90/2.8     Black

ScreenShot2023-06-12at19_11_49.png.4737de3958f28e399244f9ee7ee8c3e1.png

It seams like all three lenses are marginally usable for UV, but that the TS-E 90mm is best.

Excellent - many thanks, Ulf!
This helps me a lot to classify my own preliminary measurements.
The TS-E 90mm is therefore not a good UV lens, but - if you use the tilt or shift function - it is just as useful as it is unique.

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Excellent - many thanks, Ulf!
This helps me a lot to classify my own preliminary measurements.
The TS-E 90mm is therefore not a good UV lens, but - if you use the tilt or shift function - it is just as useful as it is unique.

You are welcome. 

I do not feel these lenses are worthy an extensive proper absolute transmission analysis as they are so marginal for UV.

Your images very clearly showed how superior the new TS-E 90mm L lens is.

The false UV-yellow from that lens was much more saturated and it had much less transversal chromatic aberration.