UltravioletPhotography

A visit to Borgeby Slott

A few weeks ago I went to Borgeby Slott to tryout my newly bought Canon TS-E 45/2.8.

The 45mm lens is of the older TS-E design just as my other TS-E lenses.

I also brought my TS-E 24mm, TS-E 90mm and the Irix 15/2.8.

I used Zomei 850nm filters for all images and my Sony A7III, FS-converted.

Borgeby Slott has a very long history:

https://borgebyslott-se.translate.goog/om-slottet/?_x_tr_sl=sv&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The first known castle here was likely built by the Viking king Harald Blåtand around 980. 

The name Blåtand is the origin and is translated to Bluetooth for the name of the wireless communication standard.

The current site is used for may different things like events, including a hotel, a restaurant and several shops.

It is situated close to a small calm river, Helge Å, where you can rent canoes.

The light and deep shadows made it difficult to take good photos of the older parts of castle.

I got some at least acceptable pictures of a bit more modern buildings from the 1800th century:

TS-E  45mm @ f/6.3 :_DSC6010_crs.jpg.9e6c50a4210ba19baa3ac3e41440baba.jpg

TS-E 24mm @ f/9

_DSC6022_s.jpg.c3ef7992b1a98e6288fcd39f2a83647c.jpg

Down by the river is the canoe rental site:

Irix 15mm @ f/8 :

_DSC6003_s.jpg.550bc43984550bc74f4f1aff63a28446.jpg

TS-e 90mm @ f/8

_DSC5991_s.jpg.5d13ed1eb02e78ebc7a119dcdce5db7f.jpg

The river is quite scenic and quite accessible even for disabled people in wheelchairs.

There is a wooden ramp meandering down some 15m through the woods too a long wooden deck.

This image was taken from that deck down by the water with the TS-E 45mm @ f/10 :

_DSC5982_s.jpg.225ea936e1426df66067a962fcdbb015.jpg

All of the TS-E lenses showed some brighter veiling in the central area due to the amount of IR-bright foliage. The TSE 45mm was worst and started to show a hotspot rather soon, several times.

Due to Tony's Curves-editing tips they could sometimes still be made usable.

Thanks Tony.

Interesting series - thanks for sharing, Ulf.
Have you also checked how the TS-E 45mm (or the TS-E 24mm) is doing in the UV range?
What is the spectral transmittance of the three TS-E lenses?

30 minutes ago, Kai said:

Interesting series - thanks for sharing, Ulf.
Have you also checked how the TS-E 45mm (or the TS-E 24mm) is doing in the UV range?
What is the spectral transmittance of the three TS-E lenses?

No I have not checked the spectral transmittance.

I'm in a very busy phase of a project just now so that have to wait, maybe a week or two.

I do not think I will do a full absolute transmittance measurement with my integrating sphere setup, at least not soon.

Instead it will be a simple checkup with a collimated beam, that gives a hint of the UV cutoff without being complete. 

That is a much faster thing to do.

I do not expect much UV-reach as they are relatively modern lenses with advanced ar-coating. 

Yes, Ulf, that would be very interesting! I am excited!
The "UV reach" is certainly not very far, on the other hand the deeper wavelengths play a decreasing role when objects are illuminated by the sun.
For orientation, I took comparison pictures with my two TS-E 90 mm lenses (sun through slit and grating and a bouquet of meadow flowers).
Surprise!
The new lens is slightly spectrally transmissive towards shorter wavelengths, it is slightly better in terms of overall transmission and is vastly superior in image quality when the aperture is open. The old 90 shows very strong chromatic aberrations in this case. This difference disappears when stopped down to f8. In the practice of product photography, shots with an open aperture probably play a subordinate role.
The old 90mm is considerably smaller, lighter, cheaper and mechanically better made. On the other hand, with the new design, tilt and shift settings can be made independently of one another - which can be a decisive advantage in practice.

I can't wait to see what your comparison of the different TS-E lenses will reveal, Ulf!!!

Canon 6D-FS, Canon Lenses, ZWB2 olus 2 QB21-stack, DVD grating, lsit, direct sunlight 
Comparisionofspectraltransmission.png.5eb153b7926cc403bb47920324fdaeef.png

Canon 6D-FS, Canon Lenses, ZWB2 olus 2 QB21-stack, f 2.8, 1/30s (old version), 1/45 s (new version)
ComparisonofTS-E90mmoldandnewatf2.8.png.d373953dc3806b74eb5ce9dc5f51df19.png

I have already reported earlier on the generally good imaging performance of the (old!) TS-E 90 mm in the UV range from aperture 8 (also when tilting). What is new is that the new one is also slightly better in the UV.

Exceptional photos of a very special location. The TS-E lenses are working well in IR.  Also like the dramatic compositions. 

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A 

Thanks all for the positive comments.

On location, then I had mixed feelings due to the not ideal direction of the light.
It was also a lot to take in as it was the first time I was there looking for good motifs and shooting positions.

At the same time I was trying to get a deep understanding and feeling for how to best use the TS-E 45mm.

It is definitely an interesting place I will return to.

5 hours ago, Doug A said:

The TS-E lenses are working well in IR.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A 

They can be a bit overwhelmed, as most wide angle lenses can, when there are UV-bright areas in the scene, but most of the time that is possible to fix in post processing.

I guess that is true for many lenses that still are acceptable for UV.

49 minutes ago, OlDoinyo said:

Excellent work--though the canoe shot shows some peripheral CA.

Thank you.

For the CA comment, I do not see or understand what you mean.

I think the 850nm filter used gives a monochrome image.

I also converted the images to grayscale before publishing.

Please clarify.

On 6/12/2023 at 2:29 PM, Kai said:

Yes, Ulf, that would be very interesting! I am excited!
The "UV reach" is certainly not very far, on the other hand the deeper wavelengths play a decreasing role when objects are illuminated by the sun.
For orientation, I took comparison pictures with my two TS-E 90 mm lenses (sun through slit and grating and a bouquet of meadow flowers).
Surprise!
The new lens is slightly spectrally transmissive towards shorter wavelengths, it is slightly better in terms of overall transmission and is vastly superior in image quality when the aperture is open. The old 90 shows very strong chromatic aberrations in this case. This difference disappears when stopped down to f8. In the practice of product photography, shots with an open aperture probably play a subordinate role.
The old 90mm is considerably smaller, lighter, cheaper and mechanically better made. On the other hand, with the new design, tilt and shift settings can be made independently of one another - which can be a decisive advantage in practice.

I can't wait to see what your comparison of the different TS-E lenses will reveal, Ulf!!!

Canon 6D-FS, Canon Lenses, ZWB2 olus 2 QB21-stack, DVD grating, lsit, direct sunlight 
Comparisionofspectraltransmission.png.5eb153b7926cc403bb47920324fdaeef.png

Canon 6D-FS, Canon Lenses, ZWB2 olus 2 QB21-stack, f 2.8, 1/30s (old version), 1/45 s (new version)
ComparisonofTS-E90mmoldandnewatf2.8.png.d373953dc3806b74eb5ce9dc5f51df19.png

I have already reported earlier on the generally good imaging performance of the (old!) TS-E 90 mm in the UV range from aperture 8 (also when tilting). What is new is that the new one is also slightly better in the UV.

From your grating image it looks like an added reach of maybe 10nm, for your complete system.

It is likely that some of the intensity-decay is not due to the transmission loss in the lens, but also due to sensor sensitivity, grating material transmission, grating efficiency and spectral content in the sunlight. Such effects are less pronounced close to VIS, but start to increase a bit in the UV-range