UltravioletPhotography

Possibility to edit old image links to fix them (or apply a search and replace)

otoien

I am finding that none of my Images linked from my zenfolio site  before https was introduced will display in the forum, by understandable reasons. However the fix is very easy: replace http://...  in the links with https://... . Would it be possible for the forum moderators to perform a global string search and replace in the data base, replace

"http://otoien.zenfolio.com/" with

"https://otoien.zenfolio.com/"  ?

Alternatively could I be given edit access to all my content so that I can fix all of these links myself?  

Here is a demonstration of how one of those links behaves before and after edit:

before:

http://otoien.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2854678979.jpg

After adding the 's':

2018-05-02-0143E-7198-md.jpg.89af8c93e17bad527bd4b26d4b58ddba.jpg

I have put you temporarily into a group which has editing permissions. You can see "MemberEd" under your logo on the left. When you are finished editing your links, let me know.

Thank you in advance for this work which will restore your photos!

Thanks for opening for editing, Andrea, I keep working at it and will let you know when complete. It is nice to see the images reappear in the thread. I think it is essential when linking images from other sites to be responsible and keep those links working.

My other suggestion to do a global search and replace would likely not have worked. For each image I had to add the 's' in the link, and then go to the end of the line and press return for the image to be re-embedded in the thread. An example of one thread I was really happy to refurbish:

BTW, I discovered one other issue or perhaps I should say feature. That is that a lot of quotations and some other text comes out with a dark gray color that hardly shows up, as I have lately switched to the dark theme.  I cannot recall changing color of that text. I am also using the opportunity to fix that as I see it.

Does quotations automatically force text colors? I have lately noticed a lot of quotations come out with white background which is readable, but very hard on the eyes with a dark theme. 

Thanks Andrea, I think I got  to all of the bad image links now if the search feature can be trusted. (I also tried a google search and the additionally found threads did not contain any of my bad image links.) Let me know if any issues are detected. An exception could be the old gallery that was taken away  (I assume presently actually hidden) but I did only have one or two captures there and it might have happened late enough to have the correct links if they are unhidden again, so likely not an issue. It was quite nice to go back to some of these threads although I probably have not posted enough as it was pretty easy to get through them all. I also changed instances of dark grey text in my posts to have color assigned automatically.

I am still curious why the color changes in quotes happens though as I see the white background quotations (with dark theme) in a number of threads on the site, but not all.

3 hours ago, otoien said:

I am still curious why the color changes in quotes happens though as I see the white background quotations (with dark theme) in a number of threads on the site, but not all.

I see a similar problem, but in reverse, as I normally am using the UVP theme.

Links made in the dark theme are unreadable dark bands. I have to switch to UVP Dark theme to read them.

I just checked, I am also using the UVP dark theme. I did encounter the unreadable dark text, usually but not always in quotes in several of my old posts that I corrected. There is a possibility I could have been guilty myself at that time by specifying certain text to be gray to make special things stand out - but memory is rather vague at that point. However what I noticed lately (incidentally a number of the Andrea's recent posts) what looks like quotations that have the dark text on white background. Perhaps the theme used during posting matters? In the early days I used to use the white background.

Here is a screen shot of an example from another poster, interestingly quotes with a mix of normal text and one with white background:

image.png.e3c5e590ed33d10a79522b8cce811268.png

I never use the Quote feature because it has never worked nicely. I simply copy and paste (as plain text) anything I want to quote even though that does not pick up the name and time of the quote. 

For example:

Otien wrote: I am still curious why the color changes in quotes happens though as I see the white background quotations (with dark theme) in a number of threads on the site, but not all.

So that narrows it down to that somehow text color and background color being copied with the pasted text. Your copy and paste from my last post looks quite normal to me without any colors other than the standard ones, and also in the UVP light theme.  But guess what, my own pasted links at the beginning of the thread appear with white text on black background if I switch to the UVP light theme. 

LIGHT THEME labeled UVP. I am in LIGHT THEME

Quote from previous post.

11 hours ago, otoien said:

my own pasted links at the beginning of the thread appear with white text on black background if I switch to the UVP light theme. 

Copy/paste from previous post.

my own pasted links at the beginning of the thread appear with white text on black background if I switch to the UVP light theme. 

Now I will switch to the UVP Dark Theme labeled "UVP Dark".

DARK THEME labeled UVP Dark. I am in DARK THEME.

Quote from previous Otoien post.

11 hours ago, otoien said:

Copy/paste from previous Otoien post.

I am not seeing any anomalies so far.

When in LIGHT THEME, all Quotes and Copy/Pastes from the preceding two tests are black-on-white.

When in DARK THEME, all Quotes and Copy/Pastes from the preceding two tests are white-on-black.

TESTING ITALICS in Quote and Copy/Paste.

Here is a sentence in italics.

I cannot quote myself so I'll have to close this post and begin another one.

LIGHT THEME. I am in it.

Quote italicized sentence.

Just now, Andrea B. said:

Copy/paste italicized sentence. It must be copy/pasted as rich text.

Here is a sentence in italics.

Now I am once again in the DARK. 

Quote italicized sentence.

2 minutes ago, Andrea B. said:

Copy/paste italicized sentence. It must be copy/pasted as rich text.

When viewing the Quotes and Copy/pastes while in DARK THEME,  the copy/paste made when I was in LIGHT THEME is grey-on-black rather than white-on-black.

When viewing the Quotes and Copy/pastes while in LIGHT THEME,  the copy/paste made when I was in DARK THEME is grey-on-white rather than black-on-white.

So switching from Light-to-Dark Theme (or v.v.) alters the text color of copy/pasted italicized stuff but does not alter text color of quoted italicized stuff ??

What happens if I repeat the italics test but paste it as plain text?

italics italics italics basil tarragon and thyme

copy/paste as rich text

italics italics italics basil tarragon and thyme

copy/paste as plain text

italics italics italics basil tarragon and thyme

Viewing the preceding post in the DARK, I see that the grey-on-black only happens when the italics are pasted as rich text.

Plain sentence to copy as both plain and rich text.

This is the 43rd text sentence.

copy/paste as rich text

copy/paste as plain text

AHA !!!!

Sort of.

These reversals of background color and changes of text colour seem to have something to do with the copy/paste choice of rich text or plain text.

LIGHT I am in the light theme.

This is Test Sentence #976.

While in the LIGHT theme, copy/past the test sentence as both plain text and as rich text.

Copy/paste as rich text.

While in LIGHT theme copy/paste the test sentence as both rich and as plain text.

Copy/paste as rich text.

Copy/paste as plain text.

Now, go view the copies in the DARK.

I'm in the DARK.

I see the rich text copy/paste (made while in the LIGHT) as black text on white background.

I see the plain text copy/paste (made while in the LIGHT) as typical white-on-black.

So repeat all this while in the DARK and then go view it while in the LIGHT.

Copy/paste as rich text.

his is Test Sentence #976.

Copy/paste as plain text.

Now, go view the copies in the LIGHT.