UltravioletPhotography

Comments on Theme Go Here

Andrea B.

I know the new look for UVP is startling at first. I'm gradually beginning to get used to it. It is serviceable, if a bit boring.

Question for All: In this topic I'll take any comments about what you might like to see in a Theme. Light? Dark? Different font? Black & white? Purple & Yellow? (....j/k...)

Comment 1 Photos: I turned up the photo quality. I didn't want the software mashing the photos.

Comment 2 Photos:  I noticed that some uploaded photos have become thumbnail size. I'm going to ask the Upgrade Team about that. When the photo is clicked, however, it does pop up to a nice viewable size.

THIS IS FIXED:  Some editors have full toolbar, others partial.

Except for the "small" Editor which might appear in mobile? Not sure where the small editor is located.

THIS IS FIXED  Some topics have a sidebar with "top posters". We don't need that. Also it squishes the topic too much.

Look Into:  Follow Button should probably be default OFF?

Dark as an option would be nice.

I like to view everything black on black like being on a Disaster Area ship. Having black lights that light up black might be too much though. 

I think there might be a default dark theme. I'll add this to the list.

I notice that in the Emoji list our old Emoticons are the very last in the list.

At the bottom of the page there is a Theme drop-down menu which now contains the Default Dark Theme.

I was thinking that some of the grey fonts were not quite bright enough in the default Dark Theme?

Also there seems to be a *lot* of unused white space in these new Themes.

GO TO FIRST UNREAD POST in a topic by clicking either the dark circle or dark star next to the Topic Title when viewing a list of Topic Titles.

Is there an option to trim off most of the bloated areas of white space??? The top header is awful.

So far I cannot seem to find a method of going straight to the last post in a thread. I'm dumped into the first one and have to use scrolling or keyboard to come to the last.

I'm not sure what you are referring to? The Header space contains the title of the forum UltravioletPhotography. So I'm not sure we want to cut that off?? A screen shot would help me see what you are talking about.

I mentioned somewhere that to go to the first unread post in a Topic you should click the dark circle or star besides the topic name in the topic list.

There is nothing to click ...  Neither star nor dot.

Topics I have posted in are starred. but the symbol itself is greyed out. I see no dots at all?

If you click the actual star, not the title bar on a topic. It jumps you to the unread line.

On topics you haven't commented on its a dot you click.

This works for me on my phone.

Oh I see now this is a new feature only works for newest posts after the reboot.  Older topics it doesn't work. 

On occasion there is a dot or star, and sometimes clicking it will do what you describe. Most of the time nothing happens, or the star is non-clickable, the dot not visible. This is with new posts/threads as well. If I activate 'Activity' to show new activities, there are more stars or dots, yet the behaviour is still odd. For example if I click the star, for once I land on the last post, but later the symbol is grey and there is no way I can go back were the last post unchanged. There is no apparent logic here. And the dots never re-appear. Stars and the elusive dots are on the left, not right, side by the way contrary to Andre's statement.

Quite frustrating behaviour. I need a quick and permanent way of going to the last post, not the first unread.

I think the new theme is fine as long as I don’t have to wear UV blocking goggles to view the site. 🧐

Dark theme causes image persistence of text blocks in my head. When reading, it can become a headache viewing then next paragraph since there is an overlay effect due to the retention of high contrast white text from the last paragraph. Take a look at Klaus’ blog site invisible world for example. I absolutely cannot read text on his site for more than a minute per session before I get a migraine. 

I agree the triple dot menu option is a little cryptic, but it didn’t take long to figure out.

Aha. Deeply hidden in my profile settings there is an option to make 'go to last post' the preferred behaviour for viewing. Problem sorted -- for now.

I kept looking for something that obviously didn't exist in the UI, or didn't behave in a logical manner.

Now the task is to seek the way for changing copyright notice on gallery images. They should reflect the appropriate stage in my gender development.

Stars and the elusive dots are on the left, not right, side by the way contrary to Andre's statement.

??? I did not say either left or right. La!! I only said "beside" and "next to".

I'm working on a leaner theme -- less white space and no extra Topic header. Themes take time, so everyone be patient. It will be called the UVP Theme and is available through the Theme drop down at the bottom of the page. There isn't much there yet.

You all know exactly as much as I do about the default Theme which is not much at all !! But I am sure we will all get things figured out. It is good to learn there is a Last Post setting in the Profile.

I really do like the Drag and Drop for uploading image files. Very nice.

Birna, I can fix your Copyrights in the Gallery. Consider it on my TODO List. Might not be immediate, but within a couple of days.

Interesting comment about the Dark Theme being hard on the eyes. When we were hacking away at the Labs on those giant workstation monitors (longer than they were wide), we all loved a black background with either orange or lime green text !! But we were coding almost down on the bare metal with plain old C. Now chunks of code are just Drag-n-Dropped onto a WYSIWYG app on a laptop. Times change. Times change very rapidly.

LOGINS

The new login screen requires email addr instead of user name. I am going to leave that in place because it actually is a slightly more secure way of logging in.

MEMBER GROUP

We had three member groups in the old system. Now we have only one Member group. I have set upload quotas to unlimited because we don't pay for space, we pay for traffic.

PERSONAL GALLERY

I had to temporarily suppress Personal Galleries during the Upgrade, but I have all the entries there saved and can move them to appropriate sections. Nobody was really using those pages, so I'm not sure I'll bring them back.

TINY PHOTO THUMBNAILS (random....)

Some (but not all) inserted photos are now displayed as small thumbnails instead of the original uploaded size. The thumbnail photos do click-up to the larger size. I have a question in to the Upgrade Team about this and how to fix it. Invision doesn't work on weekends, so it will be a while before this problem is solved.

POST EDIT LIMIT

There is a two day edit limit on your posts. After that please contact me or Birna via PM, and we'll be happy to help you make changes. Within that time limit, you should be able to delete any attachments if you want to replace them. Only Admin can delete an entire Topic.

There is a Quota of 200 messages per mailbox. So clean up your mailboxes if you are getting close to that limit else nobody can PM you.

NARROW BROWSER PAGE

I see that if you push your browser page to a certain narrow size, then the menus at the top disappear to be replaced by a back link.

PROFILE SETTINGS

In upper right corner, select Settings > Account Settings

When the new page appears, select Content View Behavior in the left box.

When the Behavior box appears, select the desired behavior for When Opening Content.

Most of us select Take me to comments I haven't read.

Click SAVE.

Feel free to make the default website theme however you please. I only state my opinion.

Maybe I have some unique medical condition. I can spend 12 hours nonstop reading/scrolling through black text on a white background. However, when it comes to white (grey/green/yellow/etc) text on a black background my endurance is measured in minutes.

Of course, I am only talking about reading paragraphs and pages of text such as user posts.  Menus, headers, buttons and other types of fixed presentation don't cause any issues.

NOTIFICATION EMAIL

This seems to be hanging. I might not be able to find a fix until Monday.

I liked the darker blue border of the old site, but I like dark text in white background due to the persistence of vision effect mentioned upthread. I have trouble with Klaus’s site also.