UltravioletPhotography

Ultraviolet photography at night

kogakunippon

Depressing to think I'm already seeing only 60% of the light I could see when I was ten, even on the red end.

It sounds bad, but that's less than a 1 stop loss :)

kogakunippon

@Steve,

sorry for my late answer, the street lamp is behind the first tree.

@All,

thanks for all your comments.

While I was in Japan in the last days I had plenty time to improve my night shootouts. But I dont want to talk much about it, as my english is very poor.

But lets start with Daihonzan Naritasan Somon:

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/18257351-lg.jpg

kogakunippon

I forgot to add the information from the above picture:

Nikon D7100 (modified with Spectosil 2000 Fused Silica)

Novoflex 35mm Noflexar Macro lens f/3.5 Exacta Mount (modified for infinity on Nikon Cameras)

Baader U-Filter (Venus Filter)

237,5 sec

F/5.6

ISO 6400

Dark-frame subtraction

Cable release

WB with PTFE at location plus Photo Ninja 64 1.3.3c

kogakunippon

Buddha statues in Asakusa:

111,5 sec sec

F/5.6

ISO 1600

Dark-frame subtraction

Cable release

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/18257428-lg.jpg

kogakunippon

South face of the Hozōmon (Treasure-House Gate) Tokyo:

345,4 sec

F/5.6

ISO 6400

MTE-U303 365nm Nichia "World Standard" UV LED plus

PW-UV343H-03L Torch

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/18257430-lg.jpg

kogakunippon

I found the PW-UV343H-03L for just 25.- Euro in this Shop in Akihabara...

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/18257734-lg.jpg

Very easy to find. Its the Exit opposite Yodobashi right at the corner, the only Shop selling lamps.

Wolfgang, Nice to see your new shots! Is the MTE used in all of these shots above for at least some of the illumination? Or just some of the shots?

Thanks again for sharing these photos.

kogakunippon
Is the MTE used in all of these shots above for at least some of the illumination? Or just some of the shots?

Steve,

for the picture from Daihonzan Naritasan Somon, Buddha statues and Hozōmon I used up to four different UV flashlights. I was thinking about the "monchrome" topic we discussed here days ago and decided to get different torches to avoid monochromatic pictures. And as you see it works quite well ;-) Just the extremly long exporsure times at ISO 6400 are a big issue for the postprocessing.

The last pic was made handheld at daytime with just 1/15sec and ISO 6400.

Wolfgang, I like your photo in the light bulb store. :-)

That green in the last shot is pretty strong.

Have you shot any pics with UV stacks?

kogakunippon
Steve, no, I didn't try any UV stacks as the time there was limited. Some of my photos took me around 30 min to illuminate so I was happy when I got just one acceptable result.
kogakunippon

A place where there is virtually no UV light even during the day in the sunshine. Despite 30 sec and ISO 6400 dark as in the Arlberg tunnel. The passengers in airplanes are just but very well protected against UV radiation.

AUA flight OS52 from Narita to Vienna:

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/18257736-lg.jpg

kogakunippon

Makes me sad that here in the only ultraviolet Forum nobody is interested in my pics....

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/18258738-lg.jpg

Makes me sad that here in the only ultraviolet Forum nobody is interested in my pics....

You have nearly 600 views, in my humble opinion that is good on such a small forum.

Your use of different wavelength UV LED painting is quite interesting.

The passengers in airplanes are just but very well protected against UV radiation.

Except for the powerful UV LED you shined into their faces for 30 sec.

Respectfully, you should not do that.

kogakunippon
Except for the powerful UV LED you shined into their faces for 30 sec.Respectfully, you should not do that.

Respectfully asking, who said I did this...????? :angry:

Wolfgang, we are a very slow forum. We often get many views. But we do not have so many members. And most of them are busy professionals who do not often find time to comment. I eventually get around to all the posts at least once as time permits. So you must bear with us and contribute your work knowing that it will be seen and appreciated even if not frequently commented upon. :D

I was thinking about the "monchrome" topic we discussed here days ago and decided to get different torches to avoid monochromatic pictures. And as you see it works quite well ;-)

That was a cool idea. And interesting to see the results.

I've also been thinking lots more about whether UV light is monochrome or not. I think that if using a broadband UV-pass filter and sunlight or Xenon flash, then the answer is no. But using a (single) UV-LED torch, then perhaps the light is almost monochrome. Examining the channel histograms in an app like Raw Digger can shed some light (so-to-speak) on the issue.

I especially like the photograph in post #39. It is very appealing.

Respectfully asking, who said I did this...????? :angry:

I assumed you had used your UV led in the photo of AUA flight OS52 from Narita to Vienna, post #38 of this thread.

I see now you did not state you had done so in that photo. If not, then I am happy to know your fellow passengers were not irradiated.

There are others that to me appear to have been illuminated with an LED torch but are not so labeled.

I thought you used a UV torch for all of these images, it seems I am confused on that point.

My apologies sir.

Many untold numbers of people see your photos here that never say a thing and are not even registered to be able to post.

I am quite interested in your shots, they are unusually unique, and technically interesting to me too, and are almost a whole new class of UV photography.

Your shots are not just night time UV photography, they are more than that with the different lights you are using for illumination.

Pertaining to John's question, although you didn't use UV illumination in that shot, it is always important to point out that it is dangerous to use UV lights to illuminate any scene that contains people.

People in UV illuminated shots have no idea what they are being illuminated by, or what they may be looking at. MTE light is completely undetectable (when filtered) and always dangerous to our eyes (even when filtered), so it is always good to emphasize this for the many people viewing this topic before before they march out the door with an MTE (or other UV lighting) in search of human test subjects for UV shots (or other animals).

I even know someone who used a reptile lamp for some flowers which suffered greatly, so we should include animals and other life in the list, and probably some susceptible objects as well.

I quite like the plane photo, and all the colors in your shots, you are showing something in these shots that is quite interesting. :-)

I hope you keep posting your photos.

I am sure this will inspire some others to try similar shots.

I, too, am enjoying your UV illuminated shots, thanks for posting them. I also like to learn from other peoples techniques. I haven't posted for a while, but I am getting a boat together to get me on the water & I will be back into photography & including UV photography again.

I still don't understand or know what a 'PW-UV343H-03L torch' is, please ?

Col

I still don't understand or know what a 'PW-UV343H-03L torch' is, please ?

Neither did I so I looked it up. Google to the rescue! It is a 375nm LED torch, here is one on Amazon.

Different wavelength LEDs will white balance differently and when used together to pain paint different parts of a scene yield different false colored areas in the image.

Neither did I so I looked it up. Google to the rescue! It is a 375nm LED torch, here is one on Amazon.

Different wavelength LEDs will white balance differently and when used together to pain different parts of a scene yield different false colored areas in the image.

Thanks John

Col