UltravioletPhotography

Yet Another Baffling Mystery Solved. Sigh. [Mac Alt key 5 press]

Andrea B.

So I had been trying to clone out about one million D600 oil splatters from my UV photos. And every single time after getting rid of only a few, the cursor froze in my little Photoshop Elements app.

Frustrating was hardly the word for that as it required a hard kill of the MacBook Pro - which I really hate to do to the attached drive - and reboot because there was no way to move the cursor to the Force Quit tool to get out of what I thought was a frozen app.

Turns out that Apple in its infinitude of wisdom enables certain keyboard properties via 5 presses of the Alt key. Who knew this?? Certainly not me. So every time I used PSE's Clone Tool - which, you guessed it - requires a press of the Alt key (and some other keys) - I was racking up the Alt key press count until I hit the magic number. And lost all my work with the subsequent cursor/keyboard freeze.

Sigh.

I only stumbled across this 5 presses thing by accident because I was Googling around trying to find out why Photoshop Elements froze up everytime I tried to clone out dust bunnies and oil splats. Naturally I was mentally heaping massive amounts of nerd scorn onto Adobe for their wicked buggy code in this little PSE I use. But I'm switiching the nerd scorn engine over to Apple right now for creating such a stupid setting.

Fortunately, the 5 presses thing can be unset (in a tertiary window) once you know where to look. Go to System_Preferences/Accessibility/Mouse_and_Trackpad/Options. There is a 5 presses box to uncheck. And so I have unchecked it and can now get back to cloning out the remaining 999,995 oil splatters.

i was thinking that the commonly found D600 oil problem would not be a problem for your full spectrum converted camera, since the original filter (presumably where the oil was?) was removed..and replaced....

so I guess I was wrong?

I updated the Japanese honeysuckle to be a formal post today.

I got some pretty nice Hoya flowers under UV (with flash) yesterday. I see that family is totally absent?

Zach

Hoya is in the Apocyanaceae. I'll add the genus right away. Or perhaps Andrea is better to do this as she always complains I got the settings wrong :lol:

I was under the impression that it is Asclepiadaceae (possibly spell wrong!).

unless they moved it again :lol:

Hoya is in the Apocyanaceae. I'll add the genus right away. Or perhaps Andrea is better to do this as she always complains I got the settings wrong :lol:

I also did a common milkweed recently...very UV dark (black?) but Hoya (I do not know the family though) is blue with a dark pentagon in the center (similar to Vinca).

Are we allowed to post Hoya sp?

No problem with an sp. instead of a full name. In fact, better with an sp. that an identification in error. Sometimes one has to yield and admit defeat of getting to the specific name.

Hoya probable is a cultivated plant, so unless it is wild post this to the UV Cultivars.

I was under the impression that it is Asclepiadaceae (possibly spell wrong!).

unless they moved it again :lol:

I just checked and my memory seems to work. Hoya is in the Apocyanaceae (Dogbane Family). Good, no Alzheimer yet.

Yes, you are right, Bjorn. My family name is too old...they now make it a sub-family. It seems mine is a Hoya carnosa.

Gotta laugh about these things !

It was like being forever forced to take Exit 5 on the Garden State Parkway.