UltravioletPhotography

Vision in ultraviolet wavelengths - some remarkable possibilities

rfcurry

Wiki says children can perceive UV to 320nm...and gave a few references....so why adults cannot see them? I would love to have them :)

As we age the lens of the eye yellows thus cutting some blue, some violet and most ultraviolet. We are not really aware of the changes as we age. But after my left eye cataract surgery in which the eye lens is replaced with an implant, blues became bluer and whites lost their yellowish tint.

My implant has a UV block, so I cannot see UV. Nor would I want to as it is incredibly damaging to the eye. You really do not want UV vision. I simply cannot understand why some lens implants used in cataract surgery do not do more to block UV.

I've always wondered if I damaged the eye with my UV flashes and UV Leds. You have to be careful with UV lighting and always wear your goggles.

I think that 320nm is overstated for kids.

Andrea,

Thanks for the info! did not know that UV is so damaging to our retina. Good to know and we need to be careful with UV flashes in the future.

Zach

Please read through the Stickies !!! There you would have seen the following:

Is UV Light Dangerous ? Short Answer: YES !!

Please wear UV-protective goggles when using UV emitting flashes, flashlights, LEDs or lamps.

Please wear UV-protective sunglasses outdoors.

Ultraviolet light is typically broken up into long, medium and short wavebands.

• UV-A: 320–400nm = long wave.
  • UV-B: 290–320nm = medium wave.
  • UV-C: 100–290nm = short wave.

The UV that reaches us from sunlight is mostly UV-A (~95%) and a little UV-B. Overexposure to sunlight can cause cumulative skin and eye damage leading to skin cancers, melanoma, corneal sunburn, cataracts and macular degeneration. The shorter the wavelengths, the more damaging the UV.

UV photographs are made in the UV-A band. Wrap around sports goggles that block UV are great as UV-protective eyewear for UV photography. You can also find UV-protective goggles at safety or lab supply stores. You will likely not encounter any UV-C except in a science laboratory or in the context of germicidal lamps -- in both UV-C scenarios protective skin and eye gear is mandatory.

UV is very damaging to the retina. Some fish get around this as humans do, with pigments in the lens and/or cornea (more often the lens). Those fish which use reflected UV have stem cells in the retina which can quickly replace damaged cones and rods.

Among mammals the crepuscular feeders seem most likely to require UV vision, as the percentage of solar UV increases at dusk. This is true of some members of the deer family. Whitetail deer have UV sensitivity and use their highly UV-reflective tails as a flag indicating danger.

But enough about the natural sciences. Sorry, Andrea, for this thread.

Reed, apologies for what? Your finds were fascinating !! Indeed, I have added the papers you found to my ongoing list of scientific papers which have something about Ultraviolet in the title. Sometimes I even get to read through a couple of them when time permits.

My general list is in the 2nd post here: http://www.ultraviol...-andrea-g-blum/

Reed,

Another factor to consider is that, unlike humans, many mammals that can see down into the UV, such as deer, also likely do not live long enough to manifest chronic ocular effects.

Some animals, birds and turtles for example, can outlive humans. I wonder if UV vision occurs in such long lived species?