UltravioletPhotography

Flash, flash triggers etc for Panasonic G5

msubees

Zach,

My G5 is not converted so I have compared it to how my UV/G3 is set up to use the supplemental off camera flashes.

First, I operate the camera in A (Aperture-Priority) mode, since there are no UV-capable native µ4/3 lenses. This seems the most logical mode to me since the camera cannot control the aperture of a legacy manual focus lens or even know it is there with Shoot-Without-Lens enabled. Under the Q Menu button set the flash to Slow Sync so the shutter will default to 1 second. The flashes are operating in manual mode at 1/60 sec. The exposure will be dominated by the flash 1/60 duration despite the longer shutter speed. I use this approach indoors where the only UV source is the flash so it should work outdoors where at this shutter speed solar UV is essentially acting as a modeling light that is left on during the flash.

You can try going to Q Menu and setting the pop-up flash to regular Forced Flash On in order to attain faster shutter. I would suggest you consider 1) off camera manual flash is 1/60 sec so faster shutter will clip them, and 2) Main menu Flash Synchro should be set to 1st so it fires in normal timing without delay.

Let me know how this works on your G5 and good luck!

John,

I tried forced flash and slow synch last night. There is no option turn off TTL, I think, so it will always have preflashes. I tried this morning (only a few times) with the redeye mode on...but still it did not trigger my SKY slave....

You are right there always seems to be a little pre-flash even with all the red-eye settings turned off. Something that has gone unnoticed to me apparently, since I avert my gaze from the UV-flash. I naively assumed when you turned it off it was off.

One thing I can say without doubt is my SYKs trigger fine so far, you may just not have gotten a good one. The only other thing I can suggest is to increase the Flash Adjust to +2 EV and see if it triggers the SYK then.

One thing that confuses me about this is, unless the SYK is triggering on the pre-flash, with a slower shutter all the flashes, the pop-up main flash and multiple SYK optical remotes should occur within that time frame. Obviously, there is something about what you are describing here I have misunderstood.

Perhaps when Iggy resurfaces his G5 specific experience can resolve your problem.

John,

I will need to start with red-eye mode and turn the dial to the rightmost (clockwise) position and then work backwards....I will try to see if I can add 2 EV to the onboard flash to make it trigger more often the SYK.

so you set the shutter speed at 1"?

Zach

so you set the shutter speed at 1"?

Yes, indoors. Not tried it outside. Are you outside? Is bright sunlight perhaps overpowering the optical slaves?

John, I started outside last time. then I moved to inside for testing, thinking with your logic also :rolleyes:

maybe it is simpler to use 2 199A, one on hotshoe....or i continue to use my old method...set at 1" and fire by hand when I hear the self timer is done (2"). I have been about 90% successful so far except when the flash is not ready (one wont fire a 2nd time unless I turn off and on again, faulty).

You may recall I commented that these SYK-5's were inexpensive to essentially be disposable.

I wanted two but ordered three, one would only work on the PC cable but not optically.

The eBay seller promptly sent another which worked fine, but I don't expect them to last forever.

Why don't you just order a couple more, perhaps luck will improve and they will work.

I handhold my 199A's more often than not simply because I don't trust the SYK-5 to support the weight of the 199A's. It is easier to aim the flash that way anyhow!

I did some more tests yesterday. now it seems to be seen by my camera, at least (and at last!). the sensor has to be close to the onboard flash. the dial was all the way to the right with red-eye mode on (the instruction says 1.5 sec delay -- i do not know if the camera sends out the preflash that early? 1.5 seconds before the shutter opens?). i was also using the the flash by hand. but at least this will be better than me hand holding it and fire it by hand :)