UltravioletPhotography

dSLR vs. mirrorless for UV?

msubees

I could give a flying fig whether my camera has a mirror or does not have a mirror.

Really who could possibly care? :P :D :) :)

That said, it is of course important to discuss any variables which occur in UV photography due to presence/absence of a mirror. But I'll go with whichever/whatever camera works well for my needs.

I see that no one mentioned image quality in ultraviolet work.

Newcomers should at least be aware of why a good sensor is useful in ultraviolet photography.

UV is a strange light which can produce wide dynamic range ("exposure range") in an image.

So we know that UV images are prone to highlight blowouts and blocked up shadows - loss of detail in both cases.

Such wide dynamic range is more successfully recorded with certain Sony/Nikon/Pentax sensors at this point in time.

(....yes sony makes some nikon/pentax sensors but not always...)

And because UV exposures tend to be longer and are recorded somewhat strangely in the cameras RGB channels,

we have all found that it is very useful to have an excellent high ISO capability to reduce noise.

Again, the Sony/Nikon/Pentax sensors have thus far have been best in this category.

However, if you are new to UV, there is really no need to chase the best sensor until you get a feel for things. :)

The debate about EVF versus Live View versus OVF is equally ridiculous unproductive when it comes to shooting UV photos.

Because none of those will give you a really good view of a UV subject through an external UV-Pass filter on a lens

without a strong boost in external UV illumination via UV-Flash, UV-Led or UV-strobes.

I have them all; I've tried them all.

Then I got myself two UV flashes, two UV-Led torches and a UV-Led hotshoe lighting kit to make them all work better

even iin the strongest sunlight. :D

Zach, there's no 'right' answer. You will do fine starting out with any of the choices you have mentioned. :D

I started out with a D200 broadband and used it for about 3 years. No Live View. Had to focus the lens in Visible light thru the viewfinder then correct for focus shift and slap on the Baader-U. Did just fine and got lots of cool shots.