UltravioletPhotography

Excited to join

Chris Barne

Chris Barne

Hello, 

I've actually been visiting the site on and off for several months now, after I got an infrared converted camera and started looking for resources on lenses and methodology. 

I've also been keenly following people's attempts to emulate Kodak EIR and have attempted some myself, and I think I've gotten to a reasonable degree of success! I definitely would like to pick the brains of people who actually shot the real deal film though!

In terms of my photography, I am more interested in artistic expression through scenes, so I'm unsure how much I'll be contributing to photos of leaves and petals. Some of the work I've seen on the forums here is absolutely beautiful! I'm just less likely to take that style of photo myself. 

I'm also lucky enough to be travelling to Greece in a month's time and I'll be taking lots of infrared photography there too, I think the contrast between the sky and the architecture there is going be very exciting. 

I'm glad I'm finally a member here and thank you Birna for handling my application.

Chris 

P.S. I'm currently posting from my phone, I will attach some of my existing photos when I get to my PC in a bit. 

Chris Barne

These are my most recent efforts on replicating the Kodak EIR film stock look. 

20240421-4.jpg.22e8d4231996f99d2dff7a70a570fd48.jpg

All single shot photos, using a combination of the triple bandpass filter that I bought from Christoph and a Hoya X1 on the front. I tried the filter stack that has been suggested on here of a pink cut filter and a GRB3 and just found that it was increasing the dynamic range of the scenes too much for my camera to handle, I would either get blown out skies or crushed foregrounds. 

I have to do a lot of subtraction in the green channel, which I have done before in lightroom but now I realise that I may be better served rolling this up into the channel mixer operation in Photoshop... There's always a new discovery or improvement to be made on this...

20240421-1.jpg.ba4c769d7bab97046b39eca6c0aa6ee5.jpg

I feel happy with these shots, however I am pretty much basing this entirely off of the one aerial shot that Birna has posted in a previous thread, so there may be variations or reactions to certain conditions I am not accurately depicting. 

20240421-3.jpg.f78df3b34c0882ccd3f37c8c29b8994e.jpg

This image is just for fun, for some reason I absolutely love taking photos of fenceposts, and I have now taken a photo of these posts on every camera or film format that I have available to me. But my irrational love of fencepost photography is neither here nor there as far as IR is concerned!

20240324-1.jpg.e84e18b68ae25326517719796ba0c221.jpg

This last image was when I started to feel like I had a handle on things, as you can clearly differentiate between trees with ivy growth, conifers and the still bare deciduous trees very easily. This was taken in the grounds of Hardwick Hall in the north of England.

Thanks for reading!

Hi and Welcome ! You went for a cool white balance, that's nice !

Chris Barne
14 minutes ago, Fedia said:

Hi and Welcome ! You went for a cool white balance, that's nice !

Thank you!

Yes, I have basically been attempting to get the look of the aerial photo that Birna very kindly posted some time ago. I've been reading the forum for a long time so I figured it was finally time to join!

These photos are all converted tiffs from the original camera RAW files, so I have a lot of latitude for changing the colour balance after the fact as well as before. 

Chris Barne
6 hours ago, colinbm said:

An interesting style, I like them all.

Thank you very much

16 hours ago, Chris Barne said:

These are my most recent efforts on replicating the Kodak EIR film stock look. 

All single shot photos, using a combination of the triple bandpass filter that I bought from Christoph and a Hoya X1 on the front. I tried the filter stack that has been suggested on here of a pink cut filter and a GRB3 and just found that it was increasing the dynamic range of the scenes too much for my camera to handle, I would either get blown out skies or crushed foregrounds. 

I have no personal experience with the triple bandpass filter, but have experimented with different configurations of filters, mostly just deep yellow and orange.

I have also tried adding different IR-reducing filters like KG3 and GBR3 to several different filters.

That indeed increase the attenuation of the colours.

I think adding the IR-reducing filters have mainly been a way to emulate the response of the IR-films, but there is another advantage.

As digital sensors have IR-sensitivity deeper into the NIR band all chromatic aberration in the lenses will also be more visible.
That is especially true for the more complex optical designs of wide angle lenses. That can be quite annoying.

Chris Barne
8 minutes ago, ulf said:

I have no personal experience with the triple bandpass filter, but have experimented with different configurations of filters, mostly just deep yellow and orange.

I have also tried adding different IR-reducing filters like KG3 and GBR3 to several different filters.

That indeed increase the attenuation of the colours.

I think adding the IR-reducing filters have mainly been a way to emulate the response of the IR-films, but there is another advantage.

As digital sensors have IR-sensitivity deeper into the NIR band all chromatic aberration in the lenses will also be more visible.
That is especially true for the more complex optical designs of wide angle lenses. That can be quite annoying.

Chromatic aberrations are the bane of my existence. Every thing I've posted here has been on the Nikon 28-80G which is an okay lens, but I do notice those fringes a lot, and getting them down takes a lot of work. Fortunately, as it's a full frame lens on an APS-C camera, the performance isn't as bad as it could be.