UltravioletPhotography

Finally, I Have A UVC Camera.

colinbm

Finally, I Have A UVC Camera.
I now have a mono converted Sigma fp that can see down to 250nm.
First tests with a UV Nikkor 105mm f4.5 lens.

Quartz Diffraction Grating.
Let me know of a common subject that you would like to see ?

20240409MercuryEmissionLineswithSigmafpcameras.jpg.718cdf4f7379e11ce40be1b2a7854cb7.jpg

Stefano

Nice!

If you have the filters to do this, try glass to see if it's black. That should be a good test to see if you are seeing pure UVC. Things like ZWB1, ZWB2, etc. that pass UVA and UVB but not UVC should look black.

dabateman

Very cool.  Should be more user friendly than my pi HQ camera.  I am currently wrestling with adding a shutter button,  so I can use it with focus stacking on a automatic rails. 

Yours you can run around with more easily.  Do you have a portable uvc lamp thing? I bought a bunch at $15 each.  I think at least 2 have died on me. But can work for flowers in your garden or rocks.

Wow! This is so neat. Can't wait to see what you image with this setup. Be careful. Did you know this particular sensor would do UV-C so well or did you just roll the dice?

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

colinbm

@Doug A Thanks
Yes the Sigma fp has the same sensor as a Sony model, they are back illuminated sensors, BSI, & they are good for mono UVC with the CFA removed.
I was hoping it would see down to 200nm, but I am happy with 255nm.
Yes you need to be careful not to expose yourself to UVC light, it can cause nasty burns to the eyes & skin, & destroys DNA.
Polycarbonate face shield & long sleeve & leg clothing.

photoni

@colinbm I don't know how they say it in your country
in Italy they say "a monkey climbed onto my shoulders"
yesterday I searched and found a used Leica Monochrom M typ 246 24Mpx for €3K...

but I don't have any suitable lenses for it.

photoni
28 minutes ago, colinbm said:

@photoni Excellent, 'Lady Luck' .

no luck , I can't give myself too many gifts...

I'm thinking of getting a new Petzval (modern copy of an 1860 Dallmeyer 3B - 290 mm f 3 lens)

colinbm

I should have looked it up....
Unfortunately, too often we see reluctance and inability to make decisions and take responsibility: no one wants to have the “monkey on the shoulder”, meaning, being held liable for a decision taken. This behavior mostly leads to negative business impact.

Andrea B.

The saying means something like:  I want the camera but I don't want the camera. Unable to decide. The decision is nagging me. 😀

Toni - Leica M has a short flange focal distance of 27.80 mm. So with a suitable adaptor, you can probably use many lenses you already have.

I have the first Leica M Monochrom, and it can make UV photos without additional internal alteration. I do not know about the second Leica M Monochrom.

But may I point out that the Pentax K3 Mark III Monochrome is possibly a less expensive way to go monochrome?? Again, we would need to determine whether the Pentax Mono needs further alteration.

Colin - I'm reading your adventures in deep UV with interest. Please photograph anything and everything!