UltravioletPhotography

[COMPLETE] Maintenance Update scheduled Wednesday 3 April at 2PM MST = 8PM UTC = 20:00UTC

Andrea B.

Andrea B.

This update is required for security reasons. The interruption should not be too long, maybe 30 minutes or so.

Cheers -

Andrea B.

Andrea B.

My goodness, the backup is taking for.EV.er.

Don't know why except maybe because it is so big. It's up to 37GB currently. Still, I don't remember it taking so long in the past.

Andrea B.

Maintenance upgrade is now complete.

Please let me know if anything looks wonky or broken.

Cheers -

Andrea B.

photoni

test then I delete them

AdobeRGB file

DSC08756-AdobeRGB.jpg.12192ddaf8221a15c1bcb23258f9312e.jpg

sRGB file

DSC08756-sRGB.jpg.a965bd50557c0dee79c473f2e93b7d82.jpg

photoni

the info says that both are sRGB
my Photoshop didn't recognize one profile or the other

Andrea B.

ah!

I did not correctly understand your first comment about this.

I thought you meant that there was NO color profile after uploading a JPG.

I will go check our settings.

Andrea B.

test upload aRGB

hawk_embeddedARGB.jpg

test upload sRGB

hawk_embeddedSRGB.jpeg

Andrea B.

Yes, it seems that an sRGB profile is applied by the system software. When I dragged the aRGB hawk photo off the page and read the info, sRGB was reported.

I found no external setting for this, so I will have to look within the software.

photoni

YES, the problem is also with your photos.
now I try to upload a small CMYK four-color file

CMYK-.jpg.ef9a12e90199bc70315f343702680955.jpg

photoni

things got even more complicated
CMYK ... it looks like it's being rewritten in sRGB

photoni

This is with Display P3 color profile

(typical of Apple iPhone iPad etc.)
IN THIS I HAVE ADDED THE DATA OF © COPYRIGHT
Let's see if he keeps them

DisplayP3.jpg.50d5f64e78d50c43dee22b8206ec589d.jpg

Andrea B.

I cannot find any settings I can control. 

The forum software is currently using the GD Image Suite which apparently sets sRGB and strips exif data. I will go look at some images from a couple of years ago to try to determine whether anything has changed.

Andrea B.

testing image upload

Sphaeralcea

Andrea B.

The forum software strips out any "sensitive" EXIF data such as name, location, camera serial number.

photoni

@Andrea B. I opened 6 posts with my photos
in the old ones everything is ok
Since January (approximately) the exif data, the color profile and © have been missing

Andrea B.

I'll try to get to the Invision forum soon and ask some questions about where these Exif changes are happening. I thought that  I remembered a place in the forum software settings where I could turn on/off the Exif stripping. But I can no longer find such a setting in my Admin pages. I wonder if it is possible that Invision changed this because of security reasons? Although I cannot imagine why there would be a security problem because of an Exif copyright or any other Exif data item??

But please understand that I have many UVP members here who want to have the identifying EXIF stripped from their photo posts because they prefer to keep their name, location and serial numbers private. So some folks are going to be unhappy because the Exif is not stripped and some folks are going to be unhappy because the Exif is stripped. 🤪 😄

Andrea B.

Ah, silly, silly me !!! Of course, EXIF data can be manipulated for cyber exploits !!

Sometimes I'm so naive.

Please see:  LINK

(You can read this article in Medium by scrolling in the top half of the screen.)

A malicious forum member* could include a cyber attack in the EXIF data of an uploaded photo which might possibly bring down a forum or trigger other havoc.  So potentially vulnerable EXIF is stripped out when a photo file is uploaded. ((At this point I have absolutely no idea what EXIF fields might be potentially vulnerable.))

*UVP has no malicious forum members. We are all cool beans beings.

We do have a couple of occasionally cantankerous members who get a little irritated when their blood sugar is too low. But we are kind and tolerant and forgive them readily.

And there are a LOT of new privacy laws across the Internet as the rest of the world tries to catch up to Europe's good work in that area. So I suspect names & locations are stripped from EXIF to meet privacy laws in various jurisdictions.

Toni, I think the only solution is to add an external watermark or copyright to your photo before uploading. 

photoni

before posting a photo I always use Photoshop to resize the image,

by default I also put the copyright © in the Exif data so if anyone wants information...

or a larger format or wants to buy the image they know where it comes from.

Deleting Exif data seems stupid to me. if I want to remain anonymous and easy
Maybe the only risk is that I could paste my photo onto another person's, but I don't see the point in this site, we don't have Queen Victoria among our members :)

Andrea B.

Queen Victoria??? 😄

As I mentioned above, we also have members here who require Exif deletion for privacy concerns.

What would be ideal is the capability for each member to determine Exif deletion in their individual profiles. But unfortunately we do not have that.

Toni, you can add your website URL to your profile.

Click photoni in the upper right corner.

Then select the following:

Profile > Edit Profile > Contact Methods > Website URL