UltravioletPhotography

Confusion about a new filter

VideoJohn

I bought this Aerochrome knock off that claims to be a QB2. I'm still working through it and testing it out, but I couldn't help but notice this strange color difference going on sooc. At first, I thought it was related to some wb settings, but looking at this new import, here it is again, with one wb setting. Blue and purple sooc, shot minutes apart, feet apart. Can someone hip me to what's going on?

image.png

Andrea B.

QB2 passes some of all wavelengths from 300-1200 with some suppression between 500-700nm. So i'm thinking it's probably a matter of what direction you're pointing the cam? Towards the sky like the two on the left you're getting lots more IR maybe? Pointing at a landscape like upper right with less sky you're getting less IR?

These are SRFs from that unusual Sony 828, yes? It may not produce the typical Aerochrome? 

Continued experimentation is the way to go with this.

Anybody else got any ideas on this??

P.S.  I'm laughing at myself because my post is a bit question-marky. 😁

VideoJohn
18 minutes ago, Andrea B. said:

QB2 passes some of all wavelengths from 300-1200 with some suppression between 500-700nm. So i'm thinking it's probably a matter of what direction you're pointing the cam? Towards the sky like the two on the left you're getting lots more IR maybe? Pointing at a landscape like upper right with less sky you're getting less IR?

These are SRFs from that unusual Sony 828, yes? It may not produce the typical Aerochrome? 

Continued experimentation is the way to go with this.

Anybody else got any ideas on this??

P.S.  I'm laughing at myself because my post is a bit question-marky. 😁

I was reading something about light making a difference with some aspect of the QB2, but I don't think it was about the color shift....I remember now, it was the "redness" of foliage. Which this filter clearly has issues with. I know I shifted this more orange, but red results I have not gotten. Yeah, this is with the srfs. I can get usable images out of it, but it's clearly not as aerochrome as it should be. Recent testing has led to some very nice results, but they are more orange than red. I could probably push around in post more, and see what happens.

image.png.84ba5b182483f8e51f5ff22f80beef9b.png