UltravioletPhotography

I got a brand new sparkling iMac at the same time that.....

Andrea B.

....I broke a bone in my wrist.  😜 🤪 😵‍💫 🩻😄

It is just a small hairline fracture caused by accidentally whacking my wrist against a a sharp corner of a granite countertop. Dumb, dumb, dumb!!  And yes it hurt like H-E-double-hockeysticks. But it will be all better soon. Naturally I hurt my dominant/right hand. So I've become temporarily a "leftie".

I am limited to the amount of typing per day for awhile. I don't think that will affect my presence here. Oddly, I can type a bit, but I cannot hold a camera.

The iMac is actually a factory refurb. But that's as good as new, methinks. The 27" Retina 5K screen is amazing. I had become so tired of working all bent over my Macbook. 

It is 3.7 GHz 10-core i9 with 128 GB DDR4. That should be plenty fast enough given that I don't do video or gaming, don't you think?? 

I got a 1TB SSD which I thought would be enough to process a season's worth of UVIR shooting. I had lots more SSD on the Macbook, but realized I was not at all using it like I thought I would because I work mostly off of external drives.

I already had Mac keyboard, mouse and track pad. I did get a mixed 14-port dock so I can keep lots of stuff plugged in and ready to go.

Total price $2379. (Is this good or bad? I do not know. Apple stuff is always expensive.) I got this iMac at macsales.com operated by Other World Computing. You can get some great deals there on older Macs, refurb Macs and also drives (external or internal), docks, cables and more.

OWC is also now selling some SDXC and CF/B memory cards which I have not tried yet. 

Neither I nor UltravioletPhotography.com have any affiliation with OWC.com or macsales.com. 

Andrea B.

P.S. I'm probably going to go with the Datacolor Spyder X2 for calibration.

lonesome_dave

Hope that wrist heals soon.

I regret the day I installed granite countertops in my kitchen.
Drop a dish 1 inch-- breaks.
Knock over a bottle of beer-- breaks.
Solid rock is so unforgiving.
I'm double-stupid for also getting a rock floor.
Drop anything breakable and it is guaranteed to break.

Hope your wrist heals up fast.

I know nothing about Macs, but sounds like you got a great new toy.

Andrea B.

Thanks guys!

I'm going to get this iMac fired up today. It will be so great to have that big screen.

Drop anything breakable and it is guaranteed to break.

It must be something to do with the Southwest having not many trees? ALL our floors are tiled with big 1.5'x1.5' ceramic tiles. And if you drop glass, it's not just that it breaks -- it's that it scatters in every direction for many feet !! I've considered covering at least one room with nice padded carpeting like I saw in a neighbor's house. (Many $$$ fly away on the desert breezes !!)

Oh no, fractured wrist is no fun. Hope it heals quickly. Computer sounds great. Wish you were able to use it more right now. At least you "scheduled" the injury out of prime flower season. 

Get well soon,

Doug A

Andrea B.

At least you "scheduled" the injury out of prime flower season.

😁😁😁