UltravioletPhotography

Coastal Optical 60mm f/4 UV-VIS-IR Apo Macro lens for sale on flea-bay!

Since I have this lens myself, I am just sharing this auction for the readers of this forum.

I am in no way affiliated with the seller. This is just a "heads up" for those who may want to buy such a lens.

It is apparently only sold with caps; no original boxes. The item is in Texas.

Link to the ad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145644503561

eBay ad for CO 60.JPG

lukaszgryglicki

Sorry for OT: you live in my favorite city of all cities I've ever visited :)

Regarding the lens - price seems to be very interesting.

Thanks! 

Regarding the lens, please note that it's an auction ending in about three days. I expect the price to go up considerably during that time. 

It's an auction and the final price is likely to be astronomical.

Andrea B.

I'd always go for a UV-Nikkor or UV-Rayfact over a Coastal which does not have as far a "reach" and which requires dealing with that blasted hot-spot.

lukaszgryglicki

I would love to have UV-Sonnar instead.

15 minutes ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

I would love to have UV-Sonnar instead.

Instead of UV-Nikkor? Why? 

Andrea B.

UV-Sonnar is medium format 6cm x 6cm.

It has about 65% transmission from 220 nm

But this lens is so darned heavy. Not at all fun to use. And (IMHO) not as sharp as UV-Nikkor.

(Although there might be some model variation going on there.)

It is also not easy to find a mount converter.

I think for medium format I would try to locate one of Brian Caldwell's newer medium format, UV-dedicated lens.

lukaszgryglicki

I already have a mount converter for GFX (even one allowing tilt & shift) - And I have 4 other Hassy lenses, this is why i would like to have UV-Sonnar.

UV-Nikkor is for smaller format - strangely it does not vignette on GFX in most situations, but sometimes it does (like when doing close focusing) - UV-Sonnar at the same time will allow tilt, shift and is also wider - which is something I miss most - I would like to have something like Canon TS-E 17/4 mm for UV (I'm using it on GFX with full tilts & shifts with an adapter allowing electronic aperture control) - if that lens could pass UV just like UV-Nikkor I would love to use it with some (also non-existing) GFX clip-in UV-pass filter.

Andrea B.

I still think that Brian Caldwell's medium format UV lens is the way to go. It would also be very sharp.

This lens is gorgeous !!!

ssh_ 2024-03-06 at 3.20.09 PM.jpg

lukaszgryglicki

yes - links pls - looks really good - like a LF lens actually.

A few years ago I spoke with Brian about his 120mm lens. UV transmission was limited to about 325nm. When we last spoke the lens was not for sale (component sourcing issues).

For future reference; the eBay auction on the Coastal Optical 60mm lens ended at $4,271.78.

Andy Perrin

The UV Nikkor person got the better deal there. 

2 minutes ago, Andy Perrin said:

The UV Nikkor person got the better deal there. 

There is still 16 hours left on that auction, so we don't know what the winning bid will be.

lukaszgryglicki

It was sold for $3.3k. If I didn't have mine I would buy it letting the seller know that I'll pick it up in person. Then I will travel back to EU with that lens on my Nikon D600 as a normal guy with camera - It would be on my neck not in the luggage :)

I travelled many times with UV-Nikkor and nobody attempted to try to collect taxes for it.

I was also travelling with Thorium Nikkor 35/1.4 (radioactive) but only once - and after that travel I will never ever get it with me again to any airport.

Andrea B.

Jonathan -- Thank you for the update about Brian Caldwell's medium format UV-dedicated lens being no longer available. I will need to update our Lens Sticky with that info. It's sad that it is no longer being offered.

16 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

Jonathan -- Thank you for the update about Brian Caldwell's medium format UV-dedicated lens being no longer available. I will need to update our Lens Sticky with that info. It's sad that it is no longer being offered.

No problem Andrea. But please keep in mind I spoke with him about this a few years ago. I don't know the current status of this.