UltravioletPhotography

Greetings From San Francisco Bay Area - California

Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis

Hi all.

Happy to be here.  

Being new to all of this, I just sent in a Nikon Z7 for full spectrum conversion this week.  As soon as Kolari sends it back, I'll be off and running.  I will start with a 720 nm.

Tom

Congratulations. Kolari does a nice job and they do it quickly. You will be shooting very soon.

Thanks,

Doug A

dabateman
On 2/22/2024 at 5:59 PM, Tom Lewis said:

Hi all.

Happy to be here.  

Being new to all of this, I just sent in a Nikon Z7 for full spectrum conversion this week.  As soon as Kolari sends it back, I'll be off and running.  I will start with a 720 nm.

Tom

Hopefully you don't get the dreaded PDAF banding problem in your images.

But if you do here is how you can fix it:

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Preprocessing

ART also can be used to fix it too, which is really the newest fork of RawTherapee.

Tom Lewis
5 hours ago, dabateman said:

Hopefully you don't get the dreaded PDAF banding problem in your images.

But if you do here is how you can fix it:

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Preprocessing

ART also can be used to fix it too, which is really the newest fork of RawTherapee.

Thanks.  I'm dreading the PDAF, it's true.  Since I paid the extra to Kolari for their fancy AR coating on that little piece of glass that replaced the OEM hot mirror, maybe the banding will be less.  I mean, I realize the banding is caused by the phase detect sensors, but still I'm hopeful the coating may help.  I don't think that camera comes stock with a spatial filter, so removing the hot mirror would not result in removing a spatial filter.  

Anyway, I added the link you included to my bookmark for processing, PDAF banding!  Of course that would mean I would need to download, learn, and actually use RawTherapee or ART.  But I'll prolly further my addiction to Adobe...

29 minutes ago, Tom Lewis said:

Anyway, I added the link you included to my bookmark for processing, PDAF banding!  Of course that would mean I would need to download, learn, and actually use RawTherapee or ART.  But I'll prolly further my addiction to Adobe...

My knowledge is not good about current Adobe tools for processing UV and IR images, but when I started seven years ago they did not work well. I had to seek other RAW-converters.

Then it seamed like the Adobe products were internally limited to the spectral range normally seen from VIS images.

I would strongly recommend you to explore alternative RAW converters to use for UV and IR. It is just the first steps from RAW that needs those tools, then you can return processing further with Photoshop.

Tom Lewis
29 minutes ago, ulf said:

It is just the first steps from RAW that needs those tools, then you can return processing further with Photoshop.

Very interesting.

The road from the sensor data to the final image is much longer than you expect.

Modern image processing tools for normal visual images hide that very well.

You get the impression that starting from RAW is something you do only when you want to improve the image a bit further.

For images from FS-converted cameras that is not true anymore. 

In some situations the tools do not work well or in worst case at all.

IMHO it is best to separate the processing in several different steps and use the tools most optimal for each step.

Previewing and sorting * RAW-conversion * Noise reduction * Post processing.

Depending on your needs and what type of images you want to process those tools might be different.

The type of computer you are using Windows, MacOS or Linux and OS-version also limits tools available.

My normal workflow on an ageing MacPro with MacOS 10.13 is

FastRAWViewer * RPP64 * Neat Image (inside PS6) * PS6

I like RPP64 very much, but unfortunately it cannot filter PDAP-lines

The filters in RawTherapee said to work on files from my Sony A7 III are not that efficient, but the line noise filter work OK

My problem is that RawTherapee demands a more modern MacOS than I have on my Image processing Mac that cannot be updated far enough.
If it was possible I would have lost the ability to run PS6 and gotten stuck with the perpetual paying for mor modern PS that I do not need.

Tom Lewis

Well, clearly there is a lot for me to learn here about image processing tools and techniques.

Thanks, @ulf  

Well then I think you have found the right place.

People on this forum are often very nice and helpful.

Please just ask and we will try to help you.

Most of us have rather strong opinions, but by discussing things we often can find some agreement about the technical stuff.

The opinions are often biased by what type of photography to be done.

I for one for UV, have mostly been interested in close-ups of flowers in the UV-A band and into the transition region like BugVision...

Others explore how far it is possible to take photos deeper into UV, with very special light sources and very expensive filters. 

Andy Perrin

The opinions are often biased by what type of photography to be done.

Hah, yes. I have mostly dabbled in the harder-to-reach parts of the infrared (LWIR, SWIR, a little MWIR).

Andrea B.

Hope you enjoy the site! And that the Z7 conversion works out well for you.