UltravioletPhotography

Hello everyone. Thank you for having me.

Gabriel Moore

Gabriel Moore

Sorry it has taken me so long to introduce myself. My Name is Gabriel, and I am a tattooist in Germany. 

i have been an avid photo enthusiast for many years. I started getting in to infrared and full spectrum photography a few years ago. This year I am looking to get more in to UV photography, thus me being here.

I have a LUMIX GH1 converted to full spectrum, as well as a Sigma SD10 ( removable hot mirror ) and a point and shoot LUMIX converted to 720nm Infrared. I have a variety of Filters 855nm , 760nm, and 360nm ( Chinese with infrared leaking ).

I am also a collector of cameras and have medium format film through vintage digital cameras. Maybe too many to be honest.

In my past life I was a graphic Designer and Art director as well as an instructor for Photoshop classes, albeit around 20 years ago.

I hope to give back just a small portion of knowledge in thanks for the mountain of amazing information found on this forum. 

I have included a full spectrum flower that I took a few years ago. Thanks again for having me. 

384DC825-D263-45C6-A286-CEB08D731475.jpeg

7 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Welcome! Sounds like your next step should be a UV-pass IR-blocker of some kind.

That sounds like a good idea.

All filter glass materials used for UV photography, like UG1, UG11, U-360, U-340, ZWB2, ZWB1..., have a secondary transmission peak just beyond the visible red at around 700nm. That is not only true for Chinese materials. 

That secondary peak is lower than the one in the UV range, but not low enough for normal filter glass thicknesses, as the camera sensor have so little sensitivity in the UV range.

If the 700nm peak is not blocked sufficiently enough the IR will dominate or at least add to the image as a light leakage.

Without any IR-blocker what you get is an image dominated by the IR-peak.

When combining filters like these the thickness of the filter glass is an important parameter in a similar degree as the glass material type.

It is true for all filter glass materials, but becomes more important when tailoring a transmission by combining two types of filter glass.

Green leafs with chlorophyll is very dark in UV while at 700nm they are very brightly reflective..

Welcome. Like your full spectrum flower. I'm curious, how do tattoos look in UV? 

Thanks,

Doug A

5 hours ago, Doug A said:

I'm curious, how do tattoos look in UV? 

Welcome @Gabriel Moore

@Doug A with "ancient" photography... wet plate, which sees from 315 to 510 nm the tattoos are often faded

it probably depends on the depth of color under the skin

On 2/21/2024 at 1:55 AM, photoni said:

Welcome @Gabriel Moore

@Doug A with "ancient" photography... wet plate, which sees from 315 to 510 nm the tattoos are often faded

it probably depends on the depth of color under the skin

Very interesting @photoni

Thanks for the info,

Doug A