UltravioletPhotography

DNA damage and somatic mutations in mammalian cells after irradiation with a nail polish dryer

enricosavazzi

Andrea B.

Thanks for that link, Enrico. The New York Times today has an updated article about the UV nail dryers. Here's the link even though most of the article is probably blocked by the paywall: LINK. You can read part of it by clicking the Reader button. The article references the paper in Nature Comm which Enrico linked.

Here is an important excerpt from the paper Enrico linked.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified broadband UVA (315–400 nm) as a Group 1 carcinogen, based on sufficient evidence for carcinogenicity in both humans and experimental models combined with strong mechanistic considerations. While UVA is found in sunlight, most of UVA environmental toxicity has been attributed to the use of commercial products, such as tanning beds.

Also note: 

UV-gel nail devices contain multiple bulbs, emitting UV wavelengths between 340 and 395 nm that can react and activate the photo-initiators in a gel.

While I suspect most UVP members are not interested in gel manicures, the point is that consumer devices which emit UV (of any kind) are not safe. 

I once got a gel manicure just to see what all the fuss was about. It made my nails so thick that I couldn't do some fine motor control activities -- like with the cameras. So that was the last time I ever did that.

The manicurist also said she never used gel on her own nails because then she could not properly perform manicuring activities. YMMV, of course. 😆😄

Please spread the warning to your wives, girlfriends, female friends, and daughters.