UltravioletPhotography

Maximum image dimension of 1800 pixels wide. No, make that 1700 pixels wide.

Andrea B.

Andrea B.

EDIT:  31 Jan 2024. The maximum size of the black lightbox seems to be 1700 x 970 pixels. So I should restrict the maximum width to 1700 pixels in order to avoid further downsizing in the black box.

There are too many problems with slow page loads for pages containing  large images. So going forward I am going to set a limit of 1800 1700 pixels width.

1800 1700 pixels width is the (approximate) maximum amount of viewable image width within the black lightbox 

***IF*** you are viewing the image in a fully expanded browser with no sidebars.

Most viewers are not viewing the images in the black box, but rather within the topic post. So note that 1800 an uploaded 1700 pixels wide image is dynamically further downsized to an (approximate) max of 1100 930 pixels wide when seen within a post (again, in a fully expanded browser with no sidebars). If you then decrease the size of your browser, the image is dynamically resized. Dynamic resizing is interesting as it seems to be rather good. 

So from now on, if you upload an image of larger width than 1800 1700 pixels wide, the forum software will automatically resize it. For best quality, I think you should learn to resize the image yourself prior to uploading.

When I set this new restriction on image width, it will *only* apply going forward. Previously uploaded image files will not be affected.

Please also save your JPGs at a medium to medium-high quality. We do not pay for "weight" of an image file, but lighter files load faster.

Andrea B.

P.S. I'm not sure how long it will take for the new setting to percolate thru the internet.

If they are automatically resized, I assume it's okay if I just upload the source images then? It seems like that would save a lot of time since up until now I always had to prepare all my images, resize them, compress them etc.

Andrea B.

Yes, Fandy, you could upload the source image and let the forum software resize it **IF** you are satisfied with the results. I know you are busy with studies and that would save time.

With some conversion/editing software the procedures to resize/compress can be saved as a Pre-set to be later applied in one step or applied to an entire batch. So do look into that when you get a moment.

Andrea B.

quick test: upload large image and check post and black box.

yes, the image restriction setting is now working.

original image:  6034 x 4028 

trees_visKolcut_sun_20231007hydeParkSfNM_28724pnpn.jpg

Andrea B.

Now I'm going to upload the same image resized to max 1800 pixels width. Then compare.

This resize was made in PS Elements using Bicubic Sharper. After the resize, no additional edits were made.

This version is slightly sharper. So keep in mind that you can resize better than the forum software. But the forum resize is ok.

trees_visKolcut_sun_20231007hydeParkSfNM_28724pnpnResize.jpg

Andrea B.

The size of the #$%&*%! black light box is 1700 x 970 pixels. But an image of that size will not completely fill it.

I AM SO ANNOYED BY THE IMAGE HANDLING OF THIS FORUM SOFTWARE.

testIMg2.jpg

Andrea B.

two more test images.

im970x970.jpg

im1700x1700.jpg

Andrea B.

If there is a pattern to the display method here, I fail to find it. 

Let's ask this question: what is the best forum software for image display?