Andrea B.

Andrea B.

happyNewYear2024.jpg

Wishing you Good Light and Good Health for the New Year --

with Best Regards --

Andrea B.

dabateman

Happy new year to all.

Hopefully we all can get more photography done this year.

Andrea B.

If I would stop paying so much attention to the weird politics going on in this country, I'd have a LOT more time!!! 😄😀😁 But let's not get started on THAT except to say I'm completely disgusted with ALL of them these days.

On the photography side, I've been looking a few times at that monochrome Pentax as a possibility for 2024. (After selling a couple of cams which I'm not using much anytmore.) I also have a couple of series planned. Some scenic triptychs in UV, IR, Vis. And a small series about the use of the color "Santa Fe Blue" in this area of the American Southwest. (This series would be visible light only).

Let's hear your plans for 2024 photography !!

I have been moving slowly in the direction of more & deeper UV photography in UVA, B & C lights.
Hopefully a working Mono converted camera soon.

I'm hoping to get out more for some night wildlife watching and astronomy.  I've added a WP Pvs-14 and a Sionyx Opsin to my collection.

Night vision astronomy with the 14 and a gopro work pretty good together. I'd like to also add a good Ha filter to that setup.

Happy New Year to all of you too :)
May UV light bring us exciting sights and insights again this year!

dabateman

Well I have my "dark room" done.

The laundry room with ventilation setup for outside air, its a spit vent with fan to pull out the room air with seals to block humidity backflow from the dryer. It also has hdmi, usb, and remote control in for camera and lcd monitor. So I can setup deep UV imaging and be more than 50 feet away past closed doors.

I have configured this a couple of months ago. But haven't found time for some UVC imaging. 

Hopefully soon.

Happy New Year. @Andrea B. I've also been thinking about the Pentax K3 Monochrome. I am the Pentax guy, so it is compelling. Are you going to modify it for UV?

Received a Lunt 40mm hydrogen alpha solar telescope for Christmas. Thought our UV filter stacks were complicated.  Wow, 10 nm range and it has to be tuned. Wish we had tunable filters for UV photography.

Thanks,

Doug A

Happy New Year to all!

During discussions with Avalon about his DIY conversion off a Sony A7S I suddenly remembered something I intended to do a long time ago:

To measure transmission of internal filters salvaged during camera conversions.

The guy that FS-converted my A7III kindly provided me with different filters he had taken out when converting.

In the box he sent me there are filters from A7S, A7II , A7III (mine)... and from several other camera models, totally there are 11 small envelopes with filters.

I have to decide how to present the results. Maybe one topic per camera model? 

I think it would be good to have a formal approach when presenting the results. How TBD.

To make the measurement reasonably easy I will not analyse any deeper OD in the IR blocking.

Such measurements are much more time consuming with much post processing and only relevant for doing IR photography with a stock camera.

I also have an idea of measuring the optical path length caused by the filters.

Please comment and let me know if you are interested in seeing such transmission graphs and other information. I do not have any filters from cameras appearing on the market lately. Maybe the A7III is the latest?

Happy New Year my friends !
I dream of having a Leitz 35mm, a 50mm and a used Leica Monochrome M10... and having the low pass filter removed.
I'm not interested in deep UV, but I would like a quality IR and UVA comparison.

Andrea B.

I've also been thinking about the Pentax K3 Monochrome. I am the Pentax guy, so it is compelling. Are you going to modify it for UV?

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Seems like if I picked up a good used K3-Mono, then I could get a monochrome UV camera for the usual conversion cost (involving simply removal of internal filtration). I am aware that "reasonable cost" is different for everyone!!

The Bayer filter removal conversions seem to have turned out well. But maybe it is better not to risk it by starting with a Mono cam?? Of course, what I don't know yet is whether or not a Monochrome K3 has any kind of fused internal filtration which might cause problems in conversion. I haven't investigated anything yet.

I've always wondered why Pentax digital cameras never caught on in a bigger way. They have an incredible array of lens possibilities in both the old M42 and newer mounts. And mount conversion is trivial, because there's no change in flange focal distance with the newer mount. 

lukaszgryglicki

My plans for photography and filters are "dynamic" - I'm not going to buy anything - will only be using what I currently have - I'm buying a house which will drain all my funds and beyond.

Happy New Year, Andrea and folks!

Despite the unfortunate incidents (earthquake and airplane accident) at the very beginning of the year, I hope to visit here for the sheer enjoyment!

@ulf I'm interested in seeing your tests of the different sensor filters. I wonder how much the filtration changes between different models? Looking forward to your tests.

Thanks

Doug A

On 1/6/2024 at 7:22 PM, ulf said:

in the box he sent me there are filters from A7S, A7II , A7III (mine)... and from several other camera models, totally there are 11 small envelopes with filters.

Fantastic... If you want I'll send you what they removed from my A7
It would be a nice comparison with a BG38 - BG39 - BG40 - S8612 and see where they cut.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:38 AM, Doug A said:

@ulf I'm interested in seeing your tests of the different sensor filters. I wonder how much the filtration changes between different models? Looking forward to your tests.

Thanks

Doug A

I did a partial measurement of filters from the first three SONY A series cameras I found in the collection:

Sony A7S

Sony A7 II

Sony A7 III ( from my camera )

Today I made a check of the remaining types:

Sony A7  ( @photoni I already have that type. No need to send yours )

Sony A7R II

Sony A6000

Canon EOS M

Canon EOS M50

Canon EOS RP

Fuji X-TZ

FOTGA UV/IR cut filter

Only the first had a separate dust shaker window. It seams like later designs have that function integrated in the IBIS system and can have a single combined filter stack including anti aliasing functions.

The cut-off wavelengths do not differ dramatically.

What type of presentation is most interesting? 

A comparison graph with all or a few selected (suggestions welcome)

Separate graphs for each type?

From the three results I already measured I think that the results can well be collected in one single topic. 

dabateman

One graph for the Sony and one graph for the Canon. 

Thats my thought. So we can compare the Sony results amoung them. 

Or if they are really similar,  than one graph with all would be ok.

The only thing critical to know is how far into the 400nm they go. As in if any of these stock cameras can be used for UVIVF without the need for a UV blocker. So a graph zoomed in tight from 380-420nm might be helpful.