UltravioletPhotography

Where to buy filter rings

Marc del Piro

Marc del Piro

I am sorry to post this question here, it might not be the right place.

I need good quality aluminium or brass rings for my filters, since the rings that come from Aliexpress are a bit weak. B+W, Hoya or similar quality rings would be much nicer to use. Do you know where to get them?

;)

From which AliExpress seller are you buying the rings you would like to replace? I find the rings from Tangsinuo to be fine and quite strong. In Tangsinuo's AliExpress shop, under "camera filters" there is an entry for  filter rings.

Marc del Piro

Usually, I get them from Nantong Foric Optical Factory. They are fine, but I was looking forward to getting some brass or higher-quality aluminium rings. I bet Tangsinuo's are the same as NFOF. I will try to get one or two of them, and see if they are any different.

I searched this evening for empty filter rings. That product seems to be somewhat difficult to find!! The rings from Kood International are crazy expensive compared to what is offered on AliExpress. LINK

Marc del Piro
On 12/15/2023 at 11:45 AM, Andrea B. said:

I searched this evening for empty filter rings. That product seems to be somewhat difficult to find!! The rings from Kood International are crazy expensive compared to what is offered on AliExpress. LINK

Indeed, they are much more expensive and don't look any different from what is offered in the Chinese marketplace. Plus if ordered directly from their website koodinternational.com, their products may be taxed by customs!

• 3 weeks later...
Andrea B.

I have one of the adapters from Edmund Optics mentioned above by Lukasz. It is a reusable filter holder with a rather high price made from anodized aluminum. In this screen shot, the version 59-445 which holds a square filter is shown. The version for round pieces of filter glass is 83-340.

You place the unmounted filter glass into the bigger ring. The smaller ring screws into that and holds the glass in place.

It is very nicely made. But, again, quite pricey.

ssh_ 2024-01-06 at 5.43.35 PM.jpg

lukaszgryglicki

That's exactly the only - you can disassemble any 52mm filter and then puts its components in your preferred order (it's quite thick) in this holder - this is how I've made a so-called (by me) Double IV-308 nm which is my best UV-B filter currently with possibly OD-7+ blocking: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y2XAs5Y12vt_tVL7wj4EZregpfbQ8yrxny7_OY7qyrY/edit#gid=1796325916

There is also a variation of IV-308 + IV-308 + Hoya U-340 there.

• 2 weeks later...
Marc del Piro

This is quite interesting, I've never seen one like this before. Anyway, it's not suitable for my 67mm lenses; if I do not understand it wrong this is an M52 (for 52mm diameter).