UltravioletPhotography

Has anybody ever done this experiment?

Andrea B.

Thank you for linking to that comparison image.

It is really illustrative showing the importance of colour profiles and good monitors when working with critical colours.

On my good calibrated monitor, a Dell UP3017, I can see all bands in all but the ProPhoto.

In the the ProPhoto part  I can see 6 or 7 bands of red and 10 bands of blue and green.

😄 🤪 😂 🫣 😆

That is a seriously goofy advertisement !!!!!!! 

"Very hackable" ??? They probably meant "very modifiable". But who knows? 😃

"Panty dropping disco bass" ??? I thought by now I had heard everything. La !!!! 😋

Are they trying to tell us that this light bar produces disco music?? 

With my Macbook Pro Retina and also with my iPad Retina, I can see the details in the DCI-P3, sRGB, and AdobeRGB strips. The ProPhoto loses some detail between 230/255 and 250/255. I am using Safari.

When I looked at Tony's strips on Flickr using Firefox, some detail was lost in AdobeRGB (and of course in ProPhoto). Even for DCI-P3 and sRGB, the details were slightly less contrasty using Firefox. Safari was better.

I remember reading about large discrepancies in the ways that different web browsers handle embedded color profiles. Safari on MacOS has read and applied profiles for display for a long time. When I read about this (several years ago) it was the only commonly-used web browser that did. I have a vague memory that one of the other two popular browsers -- either Firefox or Google Chrome -- recently added support for embedded profiles, though I think it said you had to enable it in the advanced settings.

lonesome_dave
On 12/14/2023 at 5:10 PM, Andrea B. said:

https://www.photonlight.com/products/photon-micro-light-ii-led-keychain-flashlight

I have a set of these little keychain lights to play with. But my original set did not have yellow. In my set the purple light is labeled 405nm. It will induce some fluorescence. The others I have are 470, 495 and 525 nm.

Their currently sold yellow beam claims 592 nm. 

I just got in the yellow one of these little Photon II keychain LED lights and it is indeed a single color LED. Here's a quick measure with the cheapie spectrometer and it centers around 595nm. Fiddling with a monochromator I estimated the peak wavelength at 594nm.

Photon_II_Yellow_spectra.jpg.e7df92c912bf034c863a19fa46721014.jpg

Definitely on the 'orangey' side of yellow. Most folks would call it amber. It is very bright and when viewed by itself appears yellow to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Andrea B.

oh cool - nice to see the "yellow" keychain led. Thanks, Dave.