UltravioletPhotography

UViF, UV mushrooms

Some more mushrooms, lately my favourite subject. Vis, UViF and UV image with Baader U + chinese ZWB1 stack. From left to right Lycoperdon perlatum, some that i think are Bovista species (one growing on a spruce cone) and the biggest one should be Lycoperdon excipuliforme. I cut these in half to see what happens. The area where the spores are developing is quite distinct in UViF and UV. That was a nice surprize. Fungi are good photo models, they don't move :)

Interestingly, the spruce cone was weakly bioluminescent (at least the surface of it), so it was glowing in the dark. I doubt it was because of this Bovista mushroom, but who knows. Attempted to photograph the BL glow (with an old Zenit camera), but the film roll is not yet full to develop.

Visible: rows 1 & 2

UV-induced Visible Fluorescence: rows 3 & 4

Ultraviolet: rows 5 & 6

eggs.jpg.711b5d748abfd902a165892e5e3598aa.jpg

UV lightsource: UV Beast, 365nm
Camera/lens: unmodified Nikon D5500/ AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR kit lens

Super images. Like your documentation of the cut fungi in different lighting. Looking forward to seeing more. Especially the film captures of bioluminescence. Are the above images also film? 

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

On 10/22/2023 at 7:31 PM, Doug A said:

Are the above images also film? 

These are not film images, but thanks, maybe if i get the filmroll full and developed and there's something appearing, i will add the BL captures here. Have yet to try UV photography with film.  

4 hours ago, Foxfire said:

These are not film images, but thanks, maybe if i get the filmroll full and developed and there's something appearing, i will add the BL captures here. Have yet to try UV photography with film.  

Originally thought these were digital. Thanks for the clarification. UV is difficult with digital. Can't imagine how tough film would be. Look forward to seeing your film images.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Hi Foxfire - These are fascinating images. I've been wishing we had more mushrooms and other fungi available for photographing out here in this pinyon-juniper savannah. We only get a few and only after the late summer rains.

I added some clarifying captions.

Check to see whether the pinecone had any pine resin on it?  I'm curious whether that might be bioluminescent? I've got a piñyon tree just a few feet from a back door here. I've just added it to the list-of-things-to-photograph. Its trunk has huge globs of the most sticky resin which is the most impossible stuff to remove from either hand or shoe. It takes repeated applications of Goo-Gone or nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol.

You are welcome to put fotos of any identified mushroom into the botanical section in the UV Other Botanicals section. Formatting is required, but it's easy. (And I can always help out on that.)