UltravioletPhotography

Reasonably clean UV-C set-up

Lou Jost

4 hours ago, JMC said:

Few thoughts.

Lou - when I did my UVC test I tried it in combination with a WG305 filter (and also tried a WG295 one) the aim being to block as much as possible from above 300nm. It's difficult without seeing all the transmission spectra of the different filters to be 100% sure about everything that is going on. My gut feel is that you are getting mainly UVC, but I always like to see data to back up my feelings.

Col - the deuterium lamp will be less intense than the 254nm low pressure mercury lamp. But it will have a much broader emission range. This is why I think trying it with a XUV0310 filter is where I will start as this has a nice broad transmission profile. I'll be using it in combination with a condenser lens to try and get a parallel beam. Also I'll be using my UV camera with the Sony UV sensor to give me the best sensitivity. What would be ideal is a focusable 254nm low pressure mercury lamp which is small enough to get into the microscope lamp port, but so far I have not found anything suitable. All in all not a trivial task.

Jonathan, I saw that, but I don't have those filters. But if there had been leakage, the aluminum foil with its bright reflections should have been visible through the left-hand glass, right?

4 hours ago, Lou Jost said:

Jonathan, I saw that, but I don't have those filters. But if there had been leakage, the aluminum foil with its bright reflections should have been visible through the left-hand glass, right?

Should be Lou. I've not tried that way though.