UltravioletPhotography

760 wonkiness with the Sony F828

VideoJohn

Excitedly got my 760 today and had to take it out for a spin. I know it's close in range to 720, so I wasn't surprised when the image on my LCD was kinda redish purple. Something like this. 

image.png.7acfb69be4387c1ca8c163b26948af90.png

however, traveling down the road a bit, something happened, and now the live view looks something more like this.

image.png.01dc61cf294001f7ca89979f7946fd7c.png

Now these are both Jpegs I am showing to approximately represent what it was because that's how the jpegs naturally look. What's strange is, the raw files, for all my images, despite either red or purple jpeg outputs, are all the same tone preprocessing, like this.

image.png.bc9815b15aa97d1480eccd03c60e09d4.png

I've had some wonkiness when moving the hot mirror before, but can anyone confirm it has something to do with this? Maybe some idea what might have happened? If not, any other ideas about what happened here?

I don't know this camera or what controls & settings it has, so it's hard to guess what is going on.

The LCD should be displaying the false colors of the JPG contained with the raw file.

Does the F828 have white balance bracketing which might have gotten turned on? That might produce different magenta, violet-blue, purple false colors as the bracketing cycled through the WB choices. But you said all the raw files look the same SOOC, so it seems like WB bracketing can't be the problem.

Was the F828 set to Auto white balance? That might produce different color views if the "Auto" wasn't working too well under the 760 nm IR-pass filter. But again, if all the SOOC raw files look the same, Auto WB is probably not the culprit.

Does the F828 permit LCD color adjustments (in addition to the usual light/dark adjustments)? That might produce different color views (like the first two above) if the LCD adjustment was changed between shots. Advanced LCD adjustments are a fairly new thing, so that may not be available in the F828?

The LCD could be going bad. Or it might not have been properly reconnected during the conversion.

Is this the first time that there has been a discrepancy between the LCD and the actual JPG??

There's bracketing, but I don't believe it to be WB based. There's a possibility it was on auto white balance, but the conditions were very consistent. I don't think there's any LCD adjustment besides brightness. 

This is the first time I've had this issue with this camera. There was no conversion. This camera is turned to FS via a magnet to move the hot mirror.