UltravioletPhotography

UVIVF Taken to Nightscapes

cazza132

Taking UVIVF to the broad realm is difficult given the limited power of the light source. Here are a few that I've done in the last few weeks.

First up is UVIVF grass tree (Xanthorrhoea):

Grass tree illuminated by UV light just before dawn. This is a single 15 minute exposure. You may notice Orion to the top right leaving star trails with the long exposure. Jupiter is the bright one to the left.

Canon R5 (full spectrum converted)
Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art + UV/IR cut filter

365nm UV torches.
ISO 200, f4.0

Predawn Grass Tree - 230914.jpg

The second and third: Full spherical 360 degree star trails panorama with UV blacklight illumination at Bald Rock National Park (New South Wales, Australia).

Two cameras with fisheye lenses were used on a single tripod to record the sky and foreground over a period of 2 hours. The foreground was then light painted using high powered 365nm UV torches. The red, orange and yellow spots are patches of lichen that fluoresced brilliantly under UV illumination. The Milky Way can be seen through the comet style star trails to the opposite side to the boulders. The red/pink trails are emission nebulae.

Canon R5 (full spectrum) + Canon 6D (full spectrum) with HEUIBII filters. Samyang 8mm f3.5 lenses used.

Bald Rock 360 Startrails UVIVF Cyl.jpg

Bald Rock 360 Startrails UVIVF Planet.jpg

5 hours ago, Foxfire said:

That is beautifule! 
I wonder, what UV/IR cut filter did you use?

A Kolari UV/IR cut filter behind the lens was used in an EF to RF filter slot adaptor (also Kolari) to attenuate UV direct and UV induced infrared fluorescence.

@cazza132 Thanks! Its that recently i came to an idea that for UViVF the UV/IR cut would be better than just a UV-cut. Because of the possible UViIR fluorescence that might occur. So i was looking about the Baader UV/IR cut filter...

The pictures: something like this should be done when there's an aurora in the sky, maybe i will go to look for these :)

WOOHOO !! Love these, Cazza.

Thanks for showing us what can be UViVF-photographed on a starry night.

((I added a link to the NP.))

These are AMAZING!! I've tried some UVIVF light painting at night but this is way beyond anything I've managed. I love the inclusion of the star trails. 

The panorama is quite an achievement, especially with a night time exposure. Your pole star (Sigma Octantis) is not very bright; it does not show too prominently on the starwheels. That alone was a giveaway that this was taken in the southern hemisphere. Nicely done light painting. I have been wanting to try this myself but have not encountered much interesting foreground material.

Is that a green laser beam in the distance?

Stellar images, that are off the charts. The star trails would make incredible murals. Are you light painting with Nero size torches are something more powerful?

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A