UltravioletPhotography

Black-Eyed Susan with UV flash

Believe this is Black-Eyed Susan ( Rudbeckia hirta). It is plentiful in Missouri. UV image using Kolari Vision modified full spectrum Pentax K-1 with old metal Nikon EL-Nikkor 80mm enlarging lens. Used my standard 2mm Hoya U360 and 2mm Schott S8612 filter stack. Light supplied by diy modified Vivitar 283 flash. ISO 200, F11 at 1/200.
Pretty happy with my "new" Vivitar UV flash. It puts out at least 1 full step more light than my same size modified Pentax 540 flash. Even though I removed the front glass of the Pentax, there seems to be another clear window covering the flashtube. It must be reducing UV. It looks sealed so I will probably leave it alone.
Thanks for looking,
barondla

IMGP9278yellowflowerUVwebedit.jpg

I’m not so sure about that ID? We have lots of black-eyed susans and they don’t look very much like that at all. 

I do like the photo though!

Thanks everyone. I looked up the flower here: https://www.hummingbirdsplus.org/nature-blog-network/27-yellow-wildflowers-found-in-missouri/#:~:text=Evening Primrose,late spring to early fall. It is the 1st on the list. Seems to match my flower, unless the site misclassified them. I know little about flowers and their classification. I'm in it for the photo. There are bunches of these growing near my woods.

When dealing with flowers, UV flash is a lot easier than available light. Found another type of wildflower to try. Just need the time.

Thanks,

Doug A

I am sure the site has misclassified the flowers. I am not a botanist like Birna, but use wikipedia to do a first check:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudbeckia_hirta
All flowers there have a dark center "button".
(Forgot the correct name for that part of the flower)

You can Google for pictures of the four varieties and at least some have valid pictures.

The Rudbeckia normally have an interesting pattern with filter stacks for BUG-vision too where the inner part of the petals are green.

A ZWB3, UG5 or U-330, 1.5mm stacked together with your S8612, 2mm will work fine for that.

If you want to learn a bit more about identifying flowers I am sure Andrea can help.

Sometimes it can be difficult to pinpoint the exact type, but a Flora covering the area where the flower is found can often be useful.

It could be H. microcephalus, but I can't be sure. I would have to see the backside of the flower and the leaves to attempt an ID.

Other possibilities are:

Verbesina alternifolia:  Disk florets point in many directions. Curling stigmas.

Rudbeckia lanciniata:  Ditto.

H. microcephalus has opposite (mostly), lanceolate leaves.

V. alternifolia has alternating, lanceolate leaves. 

R. lanciniata has alternating, deeply lobed or divided leaves.

The disk does not seem to indicate that the flower is a Senecio/Packera.

Thanks everyone. @Andrea B. I quickly took a few extra shots  to help with plant ID. The leaves look like Verbesina Alternifolia to me. Wow, it is difficult to ID plants.

Thanks for all the info. The pics were taken quickly, before work, with different cameras. The flowers are looking rough and I was afraid they wouldn't last much longer. It was very windy, so I held the stem while using my other hand to hold camera and take pics. Sorry for the low quality.

Thanks everyone,,

Doug A

IMGP9406backofyellowplant.jpg

IM2P9809yellowflowerleavesID.jpg

IM2P9808yellowflowerID.jpg