UltravioletPhotography

UV make up mirrors are finally a thing

KhanhDam

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51aqURZ1wdL._AC_UL400_.jpg

about 8 years ago there was a company that advertised these on a social funding platform. I looked as recently as a year or two ago, and now finally these are available for $50 to $100 range. I'm not selloing them, but nice to see this technology trickle down to be affordable Coupel of review videos state they work better indoors and there seems to be one video that shows pretty bad IR contamination outside. 

3 hours ago, Doug A said:

Interesting tech. What is the advantage for the consumer? Most people aren't viewed in UV.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Might help people with applying sunscreens - easier to see where has been missed, and most people miss places when trying to apply it. Don't believe the hype just yet, until seeing more evidence of them working. There was a similar add on for smart phones a couple of years ago. The video they shared of it in use left some questions about how effective the onboard light was, and the reviews were far from glowing. It is no longer for sale.

It'll be only imaging in the 365-395nm region.

It's a nice idea, and maybe under ideal lighting and circumstances it'll work, but sometimes the hype doesn't always live up to the reality.

if you watch some of the video reviews, one of them states that the device actually works better inside than outside. In that same review if one looks closely a reflection on the device seems to show a light colored tree indicatingn IR contamination.
I've also read that the UV webcam from maxmax does not work well outdoors? on this forum.

I might buy one just to test out, but I think having it work outside would be best. I find it strange that these cheap webcams work better indoors where there is less UV???

Thanks @JMC improving sunscreen application makes perfect sense. It is difficult to get even coverage. @KhanhDamit might work better inside because there is a lot less visible light to block. An interesting product, hope they keep improving it.

Thanks,

Doug A

6 hours ago, KhanhDam said:

if you watch some of the video reviews, one of them states that the device actually works better inside than outside. In that same review if one looks closely a reflection on the device seems to show a light colored tree indicatingn IR contamination.
I've also read that the UV webcam from maxmax does not work well outdoors? on this forum.

I might buy one just to test out, but I think having it work outside would be best. I find it strange that these cheap webcams work better indoors where there is less UV???

It looks to have a 'UV' LED on it, so the plan is that it'll be providing its own light so can be used anywhere. That advertising shot was not done with that light (or that camera).......

Here's a similar one on Amazon UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanexiss-UV-Compact-Sunscreen-Rechargeable/dp/B0C6M2341B

I love how in the advert they say at one point "UVC-UVB is safe to use", when that is i) factually incorrect, and ii) that the LED used on the device will be UVA (probably a 365nm one or even longer wavelength). The safety of these things really scares me. Here's a nice bright UVA light source, please stare at it while we image you......

• 2 weeks later...

An inconvenient fact:   Damage from UV is cumulative. Those "seconds" of exposure add up over time. 

The specifications are not provided for the UV mirror I looked on Amazon, so who knows how dangerous it is (or not)? However IMHO these mirrors are potentially dangerous. And what if some dimbulb lets little their kids play with it? Scarey.

I doubt that I have any credibility with either Amazon or Ebay, but I feel that I should notify them that these UV mirrors probably shouldn't be sold without a strong safety warning -- or should not be sold at all.

lukaszgryglicki

Well, I think everything should be sold, explaining the dangers (I would not block anything). I hate that because of other people's lack of knowledge,  very useful stuff becomes banned - like for example, 1st that comes to my mind - liquid mercury.