UltravioletPhotography

color enhaced visible fluorescence of onion and lemon cross sections

Fandyus

I think I used the Nemo torch, or some other filtered 365nm LED lightsource.

The photos differ quite a lot from what the things looked like in real life. I enhanced the colors to highlight subtle color differences.

Both images are high res so feel free to enlarge them.

Screenshot2023-09-07at20-53-40DSC03131-DeNoiseAI-severe-noise.jpeg(JPEGImage38533853pixels)Scaled(33).jpg.35442ade86718bec6fd218176ce4db54.jpg

Screenshot2023-09-07at20-53-51DSC03157-DeNoiseAI-severe-noise.jpeg(JPEGImage34103410pixels)Scaled(37).jpg.05dd0710e5cdf1e1cc990b9ef1d083f7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Intriguing how the unusual colors give these an abstract but still organic "feel". The lemon makes me think of deep ocean creatures. Very well done!

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 11:36 PM, Stefano said:

They look like they could be displayed in an abstract art gallery. The second one especially.

Thanks a lot for the compliment, Stefano.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:14 AM, Doug A said:

@Fandyus WOW! They are fabulous. They deserve to be printed large and displayed. 

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Thank you! Coincidentally, one of my friends has recently expressed interest in printing some as presents for her relatives, I was very pleased to hear.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:15 AM, colinbm said:

Fascinating

I know, fascinates me too for sure.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:52 AM, lonesome_dave said:

That second one reminds me of one of my high voltage plasma globes.  Superb!

Thanks a lot!

On 9/9/2023 at 6:23 PM, Unscenerie said:

Just saw your lemon on Rob Shea Infrared Photography Live Stream! 

Haha, small world isn't it. Do you also submit your images?

On 9/22/2023 at 6:31 AM, Andrea B. said:

Intriguing how the unusual colors give these an abstract but still organic "feel". The lemon makes me think of deep ocean creatures. Very well done!

Thanks!

Unscenerie
14 hours ago, Fandyus said:

Haha, small world isn't it. Do you also submit your images?

Thanks!

I thought about it.

I did ask whether Rob would do any UV in the future.

3 hours ago, Unscenerie said:

I thought about it.

I did ask whether Rob would do any UV in the future.

It's likely he will, I know he plans doing UV himself but it's hard to say when.

Andy Perrin

Nice! Btw one printing method I really like for our kinds of photography especially (given the saturated color palettes we often have around here) is the printing-on-glass technique popularized by Fracture.

3 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Nice! Btw one printing method I really like for our kinds of photography especially (given the saturated color palettes we often have around here) is the printing-on-glass technique popularized by Fracture.

Have you tried it?

It sounds very interesting and I wonder if such printing is available in Europe too.

Andy Perrin

Yes! I have used it twice - both given to my mother as gifts so I can’t show you directly. 

This was the second of the two:

7FA3B007-AD04-4F9F-AB9C-02493E3DFDF6.jpeg

It came out fairly well.