UltravioletPhotography

Fuchsia magellanica [Hummingbird Fuchsia]

Unscenerie (2023) Fuchsia magellanica Lam. (Onagraceae) Hummingbird Fuchsia. Flower photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. LINK

A homegrown plant

Synonyms:

• Fuchsia magellanica var. macrostema (Ruiz & Pav.) Munz

Other Common Names:

• Hardy Fuchsia
  • Chilco

Comment:

Fuchsia species are native to Central and South America. Their primary pollinators are hummingbirds. Fuchsia magellanica is native to the lower third of South America. The wild form of F. magellanica can grow as a sub-shrub to 10 feet (3.0 m) and is very cold hardy. There are many color variations of flowers, leaves and stems in the cultivated varieties.

Reference:

1. Wikipedia (acc 21 Sept 2023) Fuchsia magellanica LINK

Visible Light:  Samsung smartphone

image.jpeg.d8ae2c600a410da093c201022c4b5101.jpeg

Ultraviolet Light: Sony NEX-5N, Prinzflex 28mm f/2.8, TSN575+ZWB2 UV-pass Filter Stack, Neewer Flash (UV-converted)

DSC06827.jpg.e336b045169b9dceaadf23de0e828e5b.jpg

Cool plant. Color is beautiful in the first and the extra detail in the UV is nice to see. Interesting in standard photography detail is often lost when moving from color to B&W. UV overcomes that.

Thanks for sharing, 

Doug A

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely photographed. I'm wondering what kind of pollination this flower has? I'll go try to look it up. Maybe the bright reflexed petals call attention to the darker tube in which the nectar goodies are found? Sure looks like that is a possibility.

Answer:  Fuschias are native to Central and South America. Hummingbirds are their primary pollinator. 

Unscenerie - This flower is a cultivar (and not a wildflower) so must be moved to the Cultivar botanical section. Thanks for posting it!

I have added header material so that this topic will be properly indexed.