UltravioletPhotography

Jupiter in UV

Stefano

Jupiter in UV from an amateur telescope. It looks like it was taken with a color camera (Player One Astronomy Neptune-C II, according to the video's description) and in the final processed image I see a hint of lavender. Maybe he white balanced the image like we do (or the camera did automatically).

Spectacular capture. I'm surprised it came out that clear since UV tends to "enhance" fog and haze. Remarkable results. Suppose a reflecting telescope like this transmits more UV vs a Schmidt or refractor?

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

First surface aluminum mirrors should be good for UV. Glass (for example Barlow lenses) could be the limiting factor, but maybe it is possibile to make a UV Barlow lens by adapting a fused silica lens from Thorlabs or Edmund Optics into a lens tube.

Interesting and very cool. I haven't used my antilia u like he is on Jupiter yet, I have only a Mak 127 and he's got a light gathering bucket with that Dob.

I do know my antilia lets a bit of IR through doing daytime UV, but If he's capturing at 80+FPS, curious the capture spectrum. 

The 464 sensor he's using is a bit bigger than the 462 I have, but both are super sensitive in IR range. He might have taken out the AR window too, pretty easy on the ASI versions.

Curious about the barlow too, both mine block a bunch of UV.

• 4 months later...