UltravioletPhotography

UVIVF of Wasps and Hoverflys

Andrew Dayer

Andrew Dayer

I was following up on the unexpected difference in UVR between a social wasp (Vespula sp) and a hoverfly (Episyrphus balteatus) in this thread:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/5873-uvr-batesian-mimicry-of-social-wasp-vespula-sp-by-hoverfly-episyrphus-balteatus/

The UVR result was confirmed with these dead insects (window sill casuaties) including a European hornet (Vespa crabro). Centre item is a plastic model.

The UVF result was totally unexpected (or I might have taken more trouble with cleaning!). Anyone seen this before?

Tech:

Vis: - Nikon D5500 Nikon 105mm 2.8D. Light source: 3x IKEA LED

UVR  - Nikon D3200 FS with Nikon 105mm 2.8D, Baader U. Light source Alonefire 365nm torch

UVF - Nikon D5500 Nikon 105mm 2.8D. Hoya UV/IR block. Light source Alonefire 365nm torch

Post processing: minimal colour balancing and tone levels; nothing special.

Background is 'virgin' PTFE sheet; scale is a steel ruler; units cm/mm (is deep blue in UVF likely UV leakage or UVF from maybe lacquer?)

Vis:

DSC_4599(Large).jpg.134c6787ed459348ac2cd67b30b2447d.jpg

UVR:

DSC_1371-_(Large).jpg.6b4c5ade366b297682e7a2c7797c55ed.jpg

UVIVF:

DSC_4600(Large).jpg.5308dffa7de7c1989eb6cc48bdb5ea76.jpg

Looks good Andrew.
A Zeiss T* UV cut filter on the lens will help to cut the UV reflection getting into the photo.
Raising the subjects above a black background helps to avoid the mess.
Keep at it.

Andrew Dayer
56 minutes ago, colinbm said:

Looks good Andrew.
A Zeiss T* UV cut filter on the lens will help to cut the UV reflection getting into the photo.
Keep at it.

Thanks Colin.

Yeah, I know I'll have to find £50 for that filter.

This was really a UVR set for a specific purpose. The UVF was an afterthought hence left everything as was on the PTFE.

If anyone has any archive of strippy insects in UVF or has the chance to make some, that'd be really interesting right now.

I found two topics with a UVIVF insect photo in the Fauna section. It is difficult to convince a living insect to remain motionless in a dark closet while being photographed in UV light. 😀

I wish we had more examples.

That was a good idea to check windowsills for possible subjects.

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/2295-anisoptera-fluorescent-dragonflies/

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/1126-mecaphesa-asperata-northern-crab-spider/

I don't know what the dark blue represents. Steel doesn't fluoresce. But you mentioned lacquer? The ruler is lacquer coated? That is probably the source of the dark blue, but I'm guessing. You could photograph the ruler together with a stainless steel pot or some tool to see what happens?

I find it interesting that the hoverfly shows more of a pattern in UV than the other two. Although there is a dark band on the bee. 

When I first looked at the UV photo, I didn't realize the center bee was plastic! I couldn't figure out why that one looked so plain and dull. I thought the poor thing had simply deteriorated on the windowsill. 😁 Then I read the details of your post.

Andrew Dayer
26 minutes ago, Andrea B. said:

I found two topics with a UVIVF insect photo in the Fauna section. It is difficult to convince a living insect to remain motionless in a dark closet while being photographed in UV light. 😀

I wish we had more examples.

That was a good idea to check windowsills for possible subjects.

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/2295-anisoptera-fluorescent-dragonflies/

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/1126-mecaphesa-asperata-northern-crab-spider/

I don't know what the dark blue represents. Steel doesn't fluoresce. But you mentioned lacquer? The ruler is lacquer coated? That is probably the source of the dark blue, but I'm guessing. You could photograph the ruler together with a stainless steel pot or some tool to see what happens?

I find it interesting that the hoverfly shows more of a pattern in UV than the other two. Although there is a dark band on the bee. 

When I first looked at the UV photo, I didn't realize the center bee was plastic! I couldn't figure out why that one looked so plain and dull. I thought the poor thing had simply deteriorated on the windowsill. 😁 Then I read the details of your post.

Those are both really cool threads - thanks Andrea. Bugs with blue eyes but not blond hair 😅

Important was that they dead specimens are similar enough (UVR) to the live ones in my old thread. Means that historical collections could be used for further research.

Don't know about the ruler. Not important but an observation. I did think about abrading part of it but its my son's and he thinks I'm weird enough.

The depth of black in the dead wasp struck me as well - so not just the yellow fluorescence but an emphasised contrast.

Andrew Dayer

Thanks @Doug A

Quite a big deal for me is that historic collections of pinned specimens could be imaged. Talked to some university folks today who seem really interested in pursuing this systematically.

On 8/30/2023 at 11:08 AM, colinbm said:

You sure? In my experience, the fluorescent dust gets absolutely everywhere, no matter what. Not even washing the object with water helps that much.

On 8/30/2023 at 2:53 AM, Andrew Dayer said:

UVIVF:

DSC_4600(Large).jpg.5308dffa7de7c1989eb6cc48bdb5ea76.jpg

This has such potential for creative application. Got a Thor action figure? Maybe a Shazam one? Really neat.

On 8/30/2023 at 11:13 AM, colinbm said:

@Andrew Dayer just be aware that these Zeiss T* UV cut filter is made in Japan & there are poor quality counterfeit copies from China !

OK, so I bit the bullet and ordered one from a UK supplier (via eBay). Expensive enough to be real but cheap enough to be fake (£45 for 52mm; but actually had an eBay UK code for 15% expires today 6th Sept).

Vendor was Camera Centre UK Ltd https://www.cameracentreuk.com

All nicely packaged and 'looks right'....

Very crude test with 365nm torch shows a shocking lack anything getting through! No UVIVF from white paper. Hoya UV/IR has a weak blue reflection(?)

So yes, I think its a real Zeiss filter and yes it is apparently pretty good at blocking UV.

Looking forward to have a real go with it - thanks @colinbm

Need to decide about more sizes now £££ 🙄