UltravioletPhotography

multiple IR trichromes of rainbow plastic shot glasses

I spent some time yesterday taking many images of this unremarkable piece of plastic fantastic. I got these on a flea market the other day, thinking they were cool, but given that they're made from pretty cheap plastic, I might have changed my mind on that over time. Regardless, it was interesting "investigate" them.

DSC03054.jpg.916d05e7f29bd205070c4f602895425a.jpg

First thing I did was an IR tri color, using the GRB3 method I discovered recently. Very underwhelming, but expected.

shotglassesIRtri-color.jpg.3091a8e099e3e4a0666732cd5bf81633.jpg

Next thing I did was I illuminated the glasses with three different IR filtered LED lightsources, a green one, a blue one and a 395nm one, I recorded the fluorescence in IR for each using my 850nm longpass filter and made a tri color image out of them afterwards.

shotglassesfluorescencetrichrome.jpg.4f24e3d7187552d5aa872b3bb1e83711.jpg

Lastly, I opened up the lens all the way to f/1.4, since I knew I would need a lot of light. I mounted the blue spotlight I was using beforehand and I did an IR tri color of the IR fluorescence under blue.

shotglassesbluefluorescenceIRtri-color.jpg.da9390cfb0600366d9272eefae373bb8.jpg

I'm not exactly sure if I learned anything from this, besides maybe the fact that the orange shot glass really likes to fluoresce, but it was interesting, still. I would like to investigate more objects this way later.

Are the colors in the plastic? Or are the plastic tubes coated with a color?

I had some colorful glassware like this once. The color was some kind of layer on the glass. Eventually it began to peel off.

These colorful tubes would be pretty for holding single flowers.

• 3 weeks later...

The cylinders are a nice find. It is fun to see them react to your different experiments. Wonder what happens if they are filled with liquid that fluoresces differently than the tube?

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

@Doug AThanks, Doug.

What would basically happen (I think), is that the fluid would fluoresce as it would normally, just less, depending on how much UV the shot glass transmits, and then the light would get filtered by the plastic before going back to the camera.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:11 AM, Andrea B. said:

Are the colors in the plastic? Or are the plastic tubes coated with a color?

I had some colorful glassware like this once. The color was some kind of layer on the glass. Eventually it began to peel off.

These colorful tubes would be pretty for holding single flowers.

From what I can tell, the plastic is colored in itself. There are no places with paint peeling off as far as I can see.