UltravioletPhotography

my fluorescent glass collection

Yesterday I spent the evening taking pictures of my funky fluorescent glass collection so that I could discuss with some hobbyists online what sort of glass they are and who made them. I figured that it technically fits in this forum since it's UVIVF so I thought I should post the images.

I actually took them with my Sony DSC-F828 initially, I think the retro color rendering is fun, then I had to bring out the Canon 77D because it can actually represent the colors accurately and objectively.

I illuminated them with a ZWB2 filtered 365nm LED (which apparently you shouldn't do either since 395nm is the standard in the fluorescent glass community).

DSC00340.jpg.304eef625602aca6ef3f0079d40cad3d.jpg

DSC00346.jpg.32ed942866e8a8db5a24c1e57e37048b.jpg

DSC00348.jpg.b2c8037f639d5c292ce8e363da8d13ce.jpg

DSC00351.jpg.4af8ce7568a89ac95d824e4132e38f96.jpg

The green ones are most likely uranium, the more yellow ones are so called vaseline glass, which is also uranium but different shade.

The pink/amber/yellow ones are probably selenium and cadmium glass, or some combination of the two.

Bonus image, as I said, I later took more images with a 77D, also used a 395nm light this time. I took one of the raw files, color balanced it and then enhanced the colors to highlight the differences between individual shades.

IMG_7088.jpg.bbc93f5314c4bf9ac67e2e255aeca773.jpg

Wouldn't it be cool if this glass looked like that all the time? These are very pretty when fluorescing.

Fandy, another question for you....does the fluorescence shown above match what you were seeing as you photographed it? We have had a *lot* of discussions over the years about color correcting photos of fluorescence.

@Andrea B.

Yeah, they sure are. They look pretty great in broad daylight to be honest, a little underwhelming under artificial lights.

I color corrected the images to resemble what I was seeing as much as possible. How well that is done I don't know. The old Sony most likely does not have a very objective color science and my screen isn't calibrated either.

@Fandyus your images rock! The info about the colors of different glass types is appreciated. Interesting the glass community settled on 395nm as standard. 

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Nice! My fav pick would be the color enhanced one. Still didn't get about the pink/amber/yellow ones - these are different glasses but just with the same shape as green ones?

Once i tried to hack an old webcamera to make it register high energy radiation, from this type of glass. I guess the fotosites were too big and the object was not radioactive enough (fortunately).   

On 8/7/2023 at 2:01 AM, Doug A said:

@Fandyus your images rock! The info about the colors of different glass types is appreciated. Interesting the glass community settled on 395nm as standard. 

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Thank you the the compliment, Doug. I'm glad you found this post interesting.

On 8/7/2023 at 5:50 AM, colinbm said:

I have posted this one.....

That is interesting. I think I will show this post to some fluorescent glass nerds I've met while investigating my collection. I have not heard anything about amethyst glass and I wonder if they have.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:24 PM, Adrian said:

Great collection!

Thanks!

On 8/8/2023 at 10:07 AM, Foxfire said:

Nice! My fav pick would be the color enhanced one. Still didn't get about the pink/amber/yellow ones - these are different glasses but just with the same shape as green ones?

Once i tried to hack an old webcamera to make it register high energy radiation, from this type of glass. I guess the fotosites were too big and the object was not radioactive enough (fortunately).   

Thanks! Yes, they are the same shape but different glass.