UltravioletPhotography

my pet rats in IR 850nm (Rattus norvegicus domestica)

As some of you might remember, I keep pet rats. Not for much longer since I am leaving my home to live in a dorm and starting my university studies. I took IR portraits of them some time ago, I will post some visible references as well.

Despite what people usually think, pet rats are really smart, clean and affectionate. I routinely get licked and groomed by them since they consider me one of their own. So, very friendly animals overall. Kind of like dogs. They also clean themselves about as much as cats do.

Portrayed here are Ceres and Xanthia of Lavan. They come from a certified breeder, so that's why the weird names. I also have a third girl named Apricot but I guess she was busy chewing on something somewhere when I was taking the pictures.

DSC00917.jpg.9192af9d868805b99fdbb7c31a501720.jpg

IMG_8805.jpg.7bfacf8f33893973f56c7324d60de41b.jpg

DSC00936.jpg.7317abfb967d186c60aabd9102d77ea6.jpg

IMG_6971.jpg.f3490dc2d1d497645a576138913bbf11.jpg

DSC00938.jpg.a0b54c70e19bcab55c714ab7e6645f32.jpg

DSC00939.jpg.2b4b9eb75de1f3ae3da84f8dc3880ef0.jpg

49 minutes ago, Fedia said:

They are cute ! And so small you almost need a macro lens to photogrph them !

Thanks! And yes, you are correct, I had to use extension tubes and such, for both the IR and the visible photos.

lukaszgryglicki

LOL, my impression on their eyes was that they have aperture closed all way down :)

Cute :)

4 hours ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

LOL, my impression on their eyes was that they have aperture closed all way down :)

Cute :)

Thanks!

Yes it's true, rats do often have their iris contracted quite a bit, but I think it can expand completely too. I have not seen it personally, probably since it only happens in the dark. Rats don't see very well anyways.

I was looking at your other recent posts and got to thinking about the Ratties -- and here they are!! They really do appear to be sweet animals. Look at those little faces!

Will you parents care for them while you are gone?

3 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

I was looking at your other recent posts and got to thinking about the Ratties -- and here they are!! They really do appear to be sweet animals. Look at those little faces!

Will you parents care for them while you are gone?

Haha glad you find them as cute as I do.

That's a good question actually. For some time they likely will, unless Ceres dies before I get to uni. She could leave us any day now as she's almost two and a half, which is elderly age for rats. After she's gone though, I plan to re-home the two younger girls, since they are primarily my pets and they should probably go to a home where they can hang out with other rats and get more attention. Not to imply my parents would neglect them, but still.

I understand. That is good of you to make sure they are going to be happy.

They don't really have a long life span, do they? I didn't realize that.

Neat images. They are cute. The IR doesn't seem to bother them. Hope you still have time to pursue photography and post here during school.

Thanks for sharing, 

Doug A

On 8/3/2023 at 1:16 AM, Andrea B. said:

I understand. That is good of you to make sure they are going to be happy.

They don't really have a long life span, do they? I didn't realize that.

Unfortunately they don't. Two to three years is common but more often two than three. Sometimes even less if they get seriously sick, namely respiratory issues. But it is what it is. I am glad I get the time with them that I do.

Breeders in I belive the UK are starting to breed dwarf rats, and they apparently live up to four, which is fun. I hope they get common, I'd definitely like to keep some someday.

On 8/3/2023 at 6:37 AM, Doug A said:

Neat images. They are cute. The IR doesn't seem to bother them. Hope you still have time to pursue photography and post here during school.

Thanks for sharing, 

Doug A

Thank you, Doug. I hope so too. If anything there should be more things to take pictures of in a big city like Prague, but we'll see what does or does not get in the way.