UltravioletPhotography

Let's add one of your photos to the Visitor's Gallery, OK?

Andrea B.

I would like to add more examples to the Visitor's Gallery. Every member is entitled to have at least one photo there. 

I am also trying for a range of different work. I'm going to go thru some of our pages and look for the more unusual items (for example: SWIR).

Do you have a favorite UV/IR/Multi/Other photo you have made which you would like to see displayed in the Visitor's Gallery? If so, please post it to this topic along with the photo's Title. Also nice to include are the photo's Location & Date, the Gear used (particularly relevant to our type of work) and any comments about the work.

Current Albums include:

• General Ultraviolet Photography
  • UV/IR/Vis Multispectral Photography (stacks mostly)
  • UV-Induced Fluorescence (I am going to expand this and retitle it to include all types of fluorescence.)
  • UV Insect, Bird, Animal Vision (only 1 photo currently. We need more.)
  • UV Floral Signatures
  • Other Fascinating Photography (This is where I will put thermal, SWIR, LWIR, birefringence)

Please join the Gallery if you haven't already😁

Cheers from Andrea B.

P.S.  I have no restrictions on dimensions, but please remember that the two key dimensions in our display system are:

• max 1100 px within a post
  • max 1800 px within the "black box"

For the Gallery, I suggest sizing your image to look good at that 1800 px maximum. Knowing how to resize an image is a good skill to have if you have not already learned that.

The 3rd key dimension in our display system is dependent upon maximum browser size on a given monitor. We can't know all those possibilities, so just concentrate on what can be controlled.

CucumbercrosssectionUVIVF.jpg.190d337f22906bbe16f00d0ef8ee2c1f.jpg

title: UVIVF of a cucumber cross section

365nm UV led illuminated

idk what lens and camera was used tbh but it's probably irrelevant here

CucumbercrosssectionUV.jpg.6be8e941f7dcdfa4c9402011588c6fb9.jpg

Here is the same cross section in UV

Title: Cucmber cross section in UV

Taken with a full spectrum Sony a6000, illuminated with a Repti Planet UVB 15.0 reptile bulb, lens: Soligor 35mm f/3.5, ZWB2+QB39 Tangsinuo stack

They might not match completely because I'm pretty sure I switched lenses or potentially even cameras in between the two shots.

UVIIRFcucumber.jpg.8e7724d0076354a223f0cbb11413f6f2.jpg

This is infrared only fluorescence of a cucumber cross section. Pretty sure it was also induced with a 365nm light. 850nm longpass filter was used.

Pick whichever you like the best. These are probably my favorite images ever taken.

Title: "Untitled"

Date: 04/22/23

Gear: GFX50sII 35-70mm unmodified with a Hoya R72 filter and pushed to the moon in Adobe Camera RAW. Composite of two shots. This was my "breakonthroughtotheotherside" moment and holds a special place in my heart for that and being the one the wife printed.

DSCF9327_$20.jpg

For this one, I used the Canon EOS M, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens with an astro 850nm mounted inside the EOS adapter. 

ISO100, 1/400 sec F3.2  Taken at the arboretum in Moscow, ID

bee1done.jpg.a4115e3b2432c81701589f83ca8cd82e.jpg

Title: "UViIRF Moomins"

For the photo two IR filters were used, one was placed in front of a teacup that had a picture of Moomins on it. By shining UV light the filter exhibited IR fluorescence, started to glow IR and acted as an IR light source, lighting up the picture under it (at least that's what i think happened). At the same time the Moomins could be seen through this IR-glowing filter by photographing with another IR filter in front of a lens. Maybe this could be called 'reflected UViIRF photography'?

What i think is special about it is that the inducing UV is invisible and the resulting IR fluorescence is also invisible, skipping the visible range in between. The thing that the cause and effect for the image are both invisible makes it maybe even a bit philosophical, if to start to think about it. Or somehow mysterious.

image.jpeg.4fd363c7edad8f2ea3965b411e2e4746.jpeg

Filter 1: Kolari 62 mm K665 Infrared Pro Slim G3 (acted as IR light source)
Filter 2: Kolari 62 mm K850 Infrared Pro Slim G3
Unmodified Nikon D5500 and AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens. Exposure 30 sec, ISO 2500
Lightsource: 365 nm UV flashlight
Exposure is little enhanced, in Gimp or RawTherapee. Colors are about how they were.

Time/place: 2022.04.25/Tallinn

Thanks for these contributions!! I'll start working on getting them into the Gallery.

It's brand new but I like it already !

It doesn't have a title

Shot with Sony DSC-F828 full spectrum. Filters : Midopt DB850 + Lee "dirty white" gel. Edited in Lightroom.

Place : Concarneau, Brittany, France.

Date : 30/07/2023

DSC00230.jpg.7b8fa72c8d6bdc52c7bf420fa3d6424b.jpg

Look at the blue menu bar and see "Gallery". Click that.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my humble contribution to the "UV-Induced Fluorescence" gallery.

Shot with a normal SIGMA fp and Nikkor-O 55/1.2.  The light source is TANK 007 365nm UV flashlight with Baader Venus U filter.  Both chicken eggs are boiled: the red one is with the shell, and the lime green one is without.  The paper towel underneath is also fluorescing in blue.

Judging from the shadows of the eggs, some visible  leak seems to be involved as well.

Copyright © Akira Sakamoto

_SDI1749.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my own favorite picture in the UV:

Title: "In the realm of UV light"
Camera: Canon 6D (FS modified) with Canon EF 1:2.8 28mm lens, ZWB2-TSN575 filter stack. 1/45s, f 8.0, 3200 ASA
RAW development: DxO PhotoLab 6, post processing: Nik Collection Silver Efex Pro 2

Kai_In the realm of UV light.jpg

• 3 weeks later...