UltravioletPhotography

Putting the Full Spectrum through the paces.

VideoJohn

My first full spectrum camera arrived the same day as my second, which is currently waiting on a magnet, lol. So I've been taking this here Full Spectrum Canon EOS M out for a spin just to make sure everything is working right. Seems fine to me, let me know if y'all see something amiss in these test photos.

Really basic question - should full spectrum cameras without filters produce near "normal" looking images? Haven't shot much this way but I was taken aback by how "normal" I could get that image to be.

img_4088_$50_72dpi_web.jpg

img_4146-enhanced-nr_$50_72dpi_web.jpg

img_4179_$50_72dpi_web.jpg

img_4193_$50_72dpi_web.jpg

IMG_4341_$50.jpg

img_4377_$50_72dpi_web.jpg

A full spectrum camera will take near normal colour images, inside with 6000k cool LED lighting, as there is only RGB in the light.

1 hour ago, Fandyus said:

Nice. How was #3 shot? Did you alter the colors?

I think this image was just a full spectrum no filter shot through the lens. Colors are pushed more than altered. I've got saturation and vibrance pushed and the S&L tweaked but nothing to wildly alter them like calibration does.

1 hour ago, colinbm said:

A full spectrum camera will take near normal colour images, inside with 6000k cool LED lighting, as there is only RGB in the light.

I was outside....so yikes maybe?

It does, but there's a lot of visible in there. I personally like to filter out most of the spectrum to the desired part, whether it be some color in IR shots or some deep visible blue in UV ones.

On another note, I just made the connection that's you on the eos m page I commented on👍

Andy Perrin
5 hours ago, VideoJohn said:

Really basic question - should full spectrum cameras without filters produce near "normal" looking images? Haven't shot much this way but I was taken aback by how "normal" I could get that image to be.

As colin said, if there just happens to be only visible light available, the images will be pretty normal. But outside in sunlight usually the infrared is so strong that it competes with visible on an equal footing, and plants will not be green, etc., yet things that don't reflect IR well will appear normal.

• 2 months later...

I'm late to the party....

A lot of synthetic fabrics can look "non-normal" with a full-spectrum, unfiltered camera. Backpacks, sneakers, athletic shoes, some clothing, particularly if made from black synthetic materials.