UltravioletPhotography

Which B+W filter competes with Tiffen UV 2E?

Haven't had any luck searching for this. Want best filter for stock camera doing UVIVF. Can't figure out which B+W it is.

Thanks,

Doug A

Well looks like B&H has one 2E in stock.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/808131-REG/Tiffen_77HZE2E_77mm_2E_Pale_Yellow.html

The 2E is a long pass 430nm filter. The B+W light yellow filter 021 (gg455, long pass 455nm filter) is close or the UV blocking filter 420 (gg420, long pass 420nm filter). 

Typically the long pass unit is measured at 50% transmission,  so the 021 would be better.

Andy Perrin

Colin, that depends on what fluorescence wavelengths you are interested in. I actually prefer the tiffen 2e (which I bought from B&H) because it cuts some of the blue fluorescence that overwhelms the rest of it in many cases. I would definitely recommend the Tiffen over the Zeiss (which I also have). 

Fluorescence of the filter itself is irrelevant because you aren’t shining any significant amount of UV on the filter directly when you are photographing fluorescence. At most you have a little backscatter from the scene you are illuminating with your torch or flash. I have never seen any glow from my filter due to backscattered UV. 

3 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Colin, that depends on what fluorescence wavelengths you are interested in. I actually prefer the tiffen 2e (which I bought from B&H) because it cuts some of the blue fluorescence that overwhelms the rest of it in many cases. I would definitely recommend the Tiffen over the Zeiss (which I also have). 

Fluorescence of the filter itself is irrelevant because you aren’t shining any significant amount of UV on the filter directly when you are photographing fluorescence. At most you have a little backscatter from the scene you are illuminating with your torch or flash. I have never seen any glow from my filter due to backscattered UV. 

That is an interesting observation.

The filter has a dual purpose, to reject UV and tame the colour balance at the edge of VIS.

Many optical glass types used in lenses that are known as good accidental lenses for UV also have fluorescence, without affecting the performance.

The key thing here is that the light intensity in the beam of a torch is magnitudes more bright than what might bounce back.

I can imagine that it might be interesting, at least for a filter nerd like me, to have a range of different yellow filters to successively block more and more of the violet and blue spectra.

Sorry about the post above being incomplete. Once @col was typed in my tablet no longer allowed typing. It just freaked out.

Found an interesting microscope article on UVIVF. They are using stacked filters. One is the 2E. https://www.microscopyu.com/techniques/fluorescence/nikon-fluorescence-filter-sets/ultraviolet-excitation-filter-sets/ultraviolet-excitation-uv-2e-c-bandpass-emission.

Thanks,

Doug A