UltravioletPhotography

Paid IR/UV opportunities?

VideoJohn

Nothing like getting fired on a Sunday via email through no fault of your own right? Sigh. 😐

So now that I have to get back to hustling, my mind focuses on my current interest, which includes IR photography and my full spectrum gear. As I am new to it, and I fell into it because of art reasons, I don't know a heck of a lot about professional applications for this stuff besides crime scene photography. So besides that option, what are some professional uses for IR/UV photography? I suspect they are probably very specialized and not something someone with limited knowledge like myself could just walk right into, but who knows what windows might get opened for you when you knock on doors, ya know.

Hope y'all having a better Sunday than me.

If you are planning to try and get hired for personal portraiture, you probably shouldn't expect much. In my experience, "normal" people usually think IR looks sary and UV just looks plain ugly. Very few people actually appreciate this. I took IR portraits of people on a family meetup, my sister near damn rolled her eyes at me when she found out I was taking the "scary" pictures. I wouldn't expect most other people to act any different. It is unfortunate, but most people just want to be objectively represented and expect nothing else than such.

You could have some luck on comic con type events, since they are full of nerds who do find this interesting.

As for forensics, I have no idea, but you probably need a quartz-fluorite (or equivalent) lens to have people even consider hiring you. Since, like you said, that is very specialized.

2 minutes ago, Fandyus said:

If you are planning to try and get hired for personal portraiture, you probably shouldn't expect much. In my experience, "normal" people usually think IR looks sary and UV just looks plain ugly. Very few people actually appreciate this. I took IR portraits of people on a family meetup, my sister near damn rolled her eyes at me when she found out I was taking the "scary" pictures. I wouldn't expect most other people to act any different. It is unfortunate, but most people just want to be objectively represented and expect nothing else than such.

You could have some luck on comic con type events, since they are full of nerds who do find this interesting.

As for forensics, I have no idea, but you probably need a quartz-fluorite (or equivalent) lens to have people even consider hiring you. Since, like you said, that is very specialized.

Yeah, given how little portraiture I see casually in IR, I assume that's a non-existent market. Given my incredibly weak stomach, forensics is probably not on the table as an option for me, either in UV, IR, or under normal circumstances.

I found there's something with agriculture, but from what little I understood, it seemed very much "this is done with a drone."