UltravioletPhotography

The Ultimate Guide for Beginners

StephanN

Did you know that "Diamonds fluoresce under UV light because of their high refractive index, which causes them to reflect more ultraviolet wavelengths than they absorb."?

If not, then you clearly haven't read "The Ultimative Guide for Beginners" yet, interestingly without a single photo: https://www.michiganphotography.org/guides/uv-photography/

Obviously, this was written by an AI 😆

(PS: we don't really have a forum or thread for fun-stuff, do we?)

Great quote:

"UV photography works by exposing a photo to ultraviolet light. "

So if I shine a 365nm flashlight onto a photograph,  I am doing UV photography?

"UV light is only visible to the naked eye when it is filtered through a lens."

I had no idea that lenses could filter light and allow me to see in UV. I will have to walk around with lenses on my eye balls.

This whole section is just awesome: 

"The Right Filter

A UV filter is used to protect the lens from dust and scratches as well as infrared light. Beyond this, it can help reduce haze, reflections and ghosting caused by ultraviolet rays."

There is no other filter discussion.  So how are we filtering for just UV light?

I've learned things on that site about ISO which are truly awesome. Check out the other articles.

Either AI or a prank 😀

enricosavazzi

At least it got one thing right: "UV photography requires a UV light. The light is used to illuminate the subject with UV light."

I'll go make a Humor tag. We should have one. 

So far I am incredibly UNIMPRESSED and skeptical about the AI stuff. 

lukaszgryglicki

Speaking about AI - I literally *hate* all those botrs handling chats and sometimes phone calls. Drives me crazy.

12 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

I'll go make a Humor tag. We should have one. 

So far I am incredibly UNIMPRESSED and skeptical about the AI stuff. 

Perhaps the biggest problem with AI is that most people are not as unimpressed and skeptical as they should be.

8 hours ago, VideoJohn said:

So is there a good guide some place for beginners?

I don't know, but there is an expensive definitive guide for professionals :S

https://chsopensource.org/product/technical-photography-kit/

@VideoJohn All you need to take IR photos is a Hoya R72 and good taste

All the good advice you need to take UV photos can be found on this site.

With the help of precious friends.

Thank you UVP

1 hour ago, dabateman said:

+1

The first two books are my go-to guides, as well as this site, of course. Some time ago I compiled a list of books of interest, many of which are in German, alas. Of course, by now there will be many more books around.

Klaus Mangold, Digitale Infrarotfotografie, mitp-Verlags GmbH & Co KG, 2.Auflage 2015, ISBN 978-3-95845-073-8
Karen Dorame, Mastering Infrared Photography. Capture Invisible Light with a Digital Camera, Amherst Media 2016, ISBN 978-1-60895-961-7
Edward Thompson, The Unseen: An Atlas of Infrared Plates, Schilt Publishing 2016, ISBN 978-9-05330-863-9
Olaf Triebner, hamburg infrarot, Triebner Median, 2.Auflage 2016, ISBN  978-3-9817846-0-2
Laurie Klein, Photographing the Female Form with Digital Infrared, Amherst Media 2014, ISBN 978-1-60895-719-4
Daniel Nimmveroll, Highspeedfotografie. Kunstvolle Tropfenfotos in Perfektion, mitp Edition Profoto, 2.Auflage 2014, ISBN 978-3-8266-9731-9
Thorsten Naeser, Im Unsichtbaren. München in Infrarot-Fotografien, Books on Demand GmbH 2011, ISBN 978-3-8423-7486-7
Todd Damiano, Infrared Landscape Photography, Amherst Media 1999, ISBN 0-936262-82-6
Laurie White, Infrared Photography Handbook, Amherst Media 1995, ISBN 0-936262-38-9
Günter Spitzing, Infrarot- und UV-Fotografie, Laterna magica, 1981, ISBN 3-87467-170-4
David A. Allen, Infrared. The New Astronomy, Keith Reid Ltd 1975, ISBN 0-904094-13-8
Günter Spitzing, Grenzbereiche der Fotografie: Infrarot, Ultraviolett und Polarisation in Theorie und Praxis für Foto, Film und Fernsehen, Heering-Verlag GmbH 1968,
Günther Wagner, Infrarotfotografie. Der Weg ins Unsichtbare, Verlag Die schönen Bücher 1965
Albert Nürnberg, Infrarot-Photographie, VEB Wilhelm Knapp Verlag, 1957
Wolfgang Baier, Die Grundlagen der Fotographie, Fachbuchverlag GmbH, Leipzig, 1953
Othmar Helwich, Die Infrarot-Fotografie und ihre Anwendungsgebiete, Heering-Verlag, 2. Auflage 1937

You can learn all you need to know by reading our Stickies*. The rest is just practice, practice, practice.

*The Stickies have existed in some form since about 2010 when we started them on another forum. Many of the other UV or IR write-ups on the web have made liberal use of the Stickies. We have been "scraped" since the beginning. That's all OK by me. Share & learn & enjoy. 😁