UltravioletPhotography

Aurora 365nm Flashlight

7 hours ago, GaryR said:

I came across this high-powered UV flashlight on the Yooperlites site.

It even has an active cooling fan!

How much power please ?

Yooperlite AURORA 365nm UV Flashlight
4 ultra-powerful
 365nm UV LED heads
4 hours run-time
It seems to be too good to be true ?
Watt are the true numbers ?
Buyer Beware !

58 minutes ago, colinbm said:

Yooperlite AURORA 365nm UV Flashlight
4 ultra-powerful
 365nm UV LED heads
4 hours run-time
It seems to be too good to be true ?
Watt are the true numbers ?
Buyer Beware !

I agree with Colin here even if I am just speculating. 

From the numbers presented about batteries and running time, the torch cannot emit that much power during four hours.

However for searching fluorescent "Yooperlite" stones it might still be an improvement, if it has a very narrow light beam.

It is intended as a search light.

The power density might be high in the center of the beam without the actual really high optical power output we would want for photography.

That gives a long reach to better spot stones far away, compared with the different Convoy lamps compared to in the article.

Even the smallish Convoy C2 have a rather narrow beam.

Some find that not that well suited for photography. 

For UVIVF it is more ideal with a wider beam to illuminate a bigger area evenly at a reasonably short distance.

A wide beam give very fast power density decay when the distance increase.

Then the need for high optical power will be even higher than anything presented here.

If this torch's mechanical design really is custom made, and it is working well as a narrow beam search light that motivates the rather high price for looking for Yooperlites.

For UVIVF it might be quite a disappointment.

Fan cooling is a good idea for higher power LED torches.

Just want to end with an example of yet another Chinese falsely stated "80W" UV-torch:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005230866361.html

DO NOT BUY!!

I'm on the mailing list, because I ordered the Yooperlites Convoy C8 model some time ago. The C8 is extremely bright (compared to my Convoy S2+), but with a very focused beam. I don't know what the coverage would be on the Aurora model, but I expect Mr. Rintamaki would have that info available if you contact him.

I also recently discovered LEP (Laser Excited Phosphor) flashlights, which don't have any UV applications, but amazing just the same. Basically a blue laser, focused at a Phosphor base, which results is a highly focused, visible, white light beam. I have the CountyComm version.

Anyways, that's enough flashlights for me.

dabateman

@GaryR,

That LEP flashlight looks interesting and extremely dangerous.  1.2 miles is throw! Visible upto 42 miles.

Thats quite the white light.

54 minutes ago, dabateman said:

@GaryR,

That LEP flashlight looks interesting and extremely dangerous.  1.2 miles is throw! Visible upto 42 miles.

Thats quite the white light.

It's not "UV" dangerous, but it is incredibly bright.

Although it's not a true laser, you would use the same common sense, as you would with any handheld laser.

Apparently, BMW uses LEP technology in it's vehicle headlights.

No RGB on the LEP. Only a bright white light spot @ low (180 lumen), high (600 lumen) or strobe (665 lumen).