UltravioletPhotography

UAT found for sale

If anyone is interested in buying a very rare expensive Pentax Ultra Achromatic Takumar 85mm 1:4.5 , there is one for sale here:

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/g1084435647?

Be aware that the bidding system on this site is a bit odd.

There are shipping services that work well called Benly express. I used that when I bought my 100mm Focotar-II and had no problem.

AFAIK  this lens and variants of the UV-Nikkor 105mm are the only lenses designed for 35mm full frame that are optimised for the full spectral range from ca 200nm, that includes the visual spectral range too.

Whats more rare is that it includes all the filters.

Though these were for film, so will leak IR like no tomorrow.  Most likely U360 and U340 glass.

The buy out price isn't bad. Might sell sooner.

I still kind of want a Rayfact (Nikon) 105mm UV lens. But can't afford one for at least the next 20 years. 

I almost bought one at $4000. Fortunately they are not rare and still being made new. I might even get a new one one day.

I purchased my UV-Nikkors and the Coastal 60 APO, all taken together, for way less than what the current asking price of the UAT is, Hence my response.

I can understand your reluctance. That particular sample of the UV-Nikkor would require major cleaning and if mouldy enough on the inside, damage to the optical surfaces might have occurred as well.

That is a "collector's UAT" because it has the presentation box and the filters. FWIW, those filters are not useable with digital cameras. The UV are old style (IR unblocked) made for use with film. 

The description says that the optics of UAT is fogged...

The auction of UV Nikkor has been ended.  The price seems to be very good if the lens only suffers from the lack of the rubber focus ring and some dust inside, as described.

My experience with Japanese sellers is that they often are extremely careful in the status description of lenses.

At buyee.jp I have often seen sellers describing items as junk, that might have been OK.

Some of that might be due to automatic translation from Japanese to English, that change the nuances in the original text.

9 hours ago, ulf said:

My experience with Japanese sellers is that they often are extremely careful in the status description of lenses.

At buyee.jp I have often seen sellers describing items as junk, that might have been OK.

Some of that might be due to automatic translation from Japanese to English, that change the nuances in the original text.

I haven't looked into any auction sites in Japan.  I've only used eBay (and Reverb for musical instruments).  But I could concur that Japanese sellers on eBay are also conservative in the description of the conditions of items they offer.

I haven't thought about the automatic translation that the Japanese sellers might be using.  I always turn the language setting on eBay to English.  🙄

Andy Perrin

I agree, the Japanese sellers that I've bought from tended to exaggerate the defects a little (which I much prefer to the reverse situation!). More than once I've been pleasantly surprised.