UltravioletPhotography

Embraer E175LR take off in LWIR

Got a few nights off work so looked on flightradar24 to see if there was any departures or arrivals at the local airport(KPUW). So after an hour delay, I caught a departure.

These didn't take off here a few years back before the airport remodel, so it was pretty cool seeing this even if it was still dark.

I used a Helion XP50 with stream vision to my phone, then screen captured video. 

Andy Perrin

WOW, nicely done! You can see the hot water vapor leaving the engines and also the reflection on the runway.

Thanks @Andy Perrin

I noticed the trail but didn't catch the reflection till you mentioned it.

Here's a snip from google maps, looks like during reconstruction, but can see the reflection might have been the other runway.

mapsshot.jpg.1cfcd3daf8464c8e0b7678cd5ee2e11e.jpg

Andy Perrin

Nah, the reflection is normal for LWIR. You can also see it on roads under cars for example. At shallow angles, most things reflect LWIR very well, like a mirror. You can tell it's a reflection because it "follows" the plane as it takes off.

image.jpeg.29f8afb92c945a81a36a140e96f3e494.jpeg

lukaszgryglicki

Reflections inside a metal elevator are crazy, I've recorded several times with my thermal camera, you will also see secondary reflactions - it looks like you are inside a cube which has walls made of mirrors.

lukaszgryglicki

I've just made video with my FLIR E75, saved as *.csq file and then processed with my own program (radiometric date -> mp4 video): https://github.com/lukaszgryglicki/csqconv

Command line used:

LIB=libjpegbw.so RC=1 GC=1 BC=1 RLO=1 RHI=1 GLO=1 GHI=1 BLO=1 BHI=1 NA=1 INF=32 PQ=1 HINT=1 MF=16 RF='gsrainbowr(x1)*(1-(cos(x1*2*3.1415926)+1)/2)^.5' GF='gsrainbowg(x1)*(1-(cos(x1*2*3.1415926)+1)/2)^.5' BF='gsrainbowb(x1)*(1-(cos(x1*2*3.1415926)+1)/2)^.5' M=2 SR=2 csqconv FLIR1072.csq

Uploaded to YT:

Standard mode (rainbow): 

Predator mode: 

• 2 weeks later...

@Nate  that is a spectacular video capture. Sharper than many I've seen. Love seeing the engines work. Wondering what a helicopter looks like now. 

@lukaszgryglickiamazing processing program. Great job. Shooting in an elevator is an awesome idea. 

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Thanks @Doug A

It's too bad the Helicopters here aren't on a set schedule like the passenger flights, but for sure keeping an eye out when they're going to fly over.

16 hours ago, Nate said:

Thanks @Doug A

It's too bad the Helicopters here aren't on a set schedule like the passenger flights, but for sure keeping an eye out when they're going to fly over.

Lack of schedule will make copters harder to capture. I'm sure you will grab one some day. Can't wait to see it.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

6 hours ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

Thanks, I've written it myself. It translates radiometric data files (CSQ, binary) to video applying custom function son the way, here is its code (open source, free): https://github.com/lukaszgryglicki/csqconv

It is amazing that programmers can write programs to do so many things. Unfortunately, I know nothing about programing. Bet the pros here will use your code to make many cool photos.

Thanks for sharing your work,

Doug A