UltravioletPhotography

Dpreview is shutting down!

dabateman

It is very sad that it will disappear.

The tests and comparisons of different cameras are excellent.

I wish there was a way to save all information on the site, but I think it would be too complicated.

At least I will try to save the evaluation of my Sony A7III in some way.

1 hour ago, lukaszgryglicki said:

Access to the database and just database backup.

Easy to say, not so easy to do if you have no idea at all how to do it.

What a shame, and and at such a short notice, a lot of technical information in the fora might be lost forever. There i going to be a lot of broken links in other sites' fora pointing to that information.

If you want to preserve posts you made on DPR, now i the time to go through them and archive by printing to PDF. I did that when the old NG/Photozone site breakup happened and have done the same with DPR, most of them from my active period in the astrophoto  forum (user name atigun). Also saved some essential information for future reference, for instance how to get Nikon 1 lenses repaired with a new metal gear.

Andy Perrin

Well this is going to be a mess for sure. Also, they did some of the best tests, and now they won't be here for FUTURE equipment either.

lukaszgryglicki
9 hours ago, ulf said:

Easy to say, not so easy to do if you have no idea at all how to do it.

Impossible if you have no access, only admin can do this.

Another article here:

https://petapixel.com/2023/03/22/to-save-its-content-archive-team-is-attempting-to-back-up-all-of-dpreview/

Btw, for personal archiving, I also found that turning on flat view to display an entire thread, then right click - save as - mhtml in chrome is a faster way to preserve information, and it contains just a much (or actually a little more; animated gifs are preserved) as printing to .pdf. A concern could be long term preservation. Browsers change, for instance in many old .mht files I saved years ago have only very rudimentary information displayed.

enricosavazzi

Perhaps someone is making a database backup on the server, or perhaps too many people got the same idea of saving pages. Right now Dpreview alternates between normal/no images/empty window for me.

Wayne Harridge
On 3/22/2023 at 10:15 AM, otoien said:

What a shame, and and at such a short notice, a lot of technical information in the fora might be lost forever. There i going to be a lot of broken links in other sites' fora pointing to that information.

If you want to preserve posts you made on DPR, now i the time to go through them and archive by printing to PDF. I did that when the old NG/Photozone site breakup happened and have done the same with DPR, most of them from my active period in the astrophoto  forum (user name atigun). Also saved some essential information for future reference, for instance how to get Nikon 1 lenses repaired with a new metal gear.

I have used HTTrack website copier for some sites, dunno if it will work for DPReview, or if it's legal or not.  I reckon somebody will archive the site and make it available somewhere.