UltravioletPhotography

Forum Update

Andrea B.

• UV in several places has been replaced by UVP in order to ensure that all alternate light work is supported here!!

• It seemed rather arbitrary to have two photographic sections, so I combined them into the UVP Photo Zone. (Thus Forensics, People, Scapes, and Fauna were moved into UVP Photo Zone.) Now there is a clear distinction between Technical (UVP Technical Zone) and Photographs (UVP Photo Zone).
  • Should be obvious that when you want to emphasize the Photographic aspect of your work, place it into the UV Photo Zone. And when you want to illustrate how a particular camera, lens or camera/lens combo performs, then the UV Technical Zone is probably the place to post.

• I continue to retrofit Tags. I've gotten back to 2021 now. This will take some time to complete. I hope it is eventually useful for searching out the VAST amount of information we have accumulated here. 

I am considering (yet once again) doing away with the Non-Technical Experiences. I never could decide exactly what this section was for. Most of the items there are technical. 😀 

Andy Perrin

On 3/1/2023 at 3:44 PM, Andrea B. said:

I am considering (yet once again) doing away with the Non-Technical Experiences. I never could decide exactly what this section was for. Most of the items there are technical. 😀 

I think we need some kind of area for miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit well in any other category. I think by the nature of the forum and the people who post here, almost everything is "technical" in some way, except for the very few posts on COVID/world affairs/etc. Maybe we could just rename it?

4 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

I think we need some kind of area for miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit well in any other category. I think by the nature of the forum and the people who post here, almost everything is "technical" in some way, except for the very few posts on COVID/world affairs/etc. Maybe we could just rename it?

Isn't that just under non-technical experience.

I don't think we need an other section.  That would just encourage us. 

Andy Perrin
20 minutes ago, dabateman said:

Isn't that just under non-technical experience.

...you didn't read Andrea's original comment did you? She wants to GET RID of "non-technical experience". I'm not suggesting adding a new section.

12 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

...you didn't read Andrea's original comment did you? She wants to GET RID of "non-technical experience". I'm not suggesting adding a new section.

Yes I missed that one. Seems like I skipped it as it was a response to her self. 

I think keeping non-technical experience is a good idea.

I also think it should be loose, in that that section can contain technical information,  but not fully supported with controls, and results. 

The only "controlled" areas are the Botanical topics and the UV Lens Technical Data area. By "controlled", we mean "formatted" in a particular way.

Techniques, Tests & Gear and Filter Discussions & Tests have no controls. Those two sections handle anything techie or semi-techie about cameras, lenses, filters, white balance, processing, lighting and more. If your topic emphasizes gear, then go there. If your topic emphasizes the photos more than the gear that made them, then go to the Photo Zone boards, which also have no controls.

Maybe once a year, I might move a few topics from A to B or from B to A, but I don't get all sweaty about it!! 😅 It's not a big deal.

I am trying to get tags onto the Tech topics so that we can continue to be a good reference site.

Currently the Non-Technical Experiences section contains a lot of topics which can be moved elsewhere. But I'm happy to keep it in place as a kind of catch-all for any topic which, as Andy said, "doesn't fit well in any other category".

New Name for Non-Technical Experiences:

• Miscellaneous
  • Misfits
  • Twilight Zone (somewhere b e y o n d the Technical Zone or the Photo Zone)

Andy Perrin

Lol at “Twilight Zone.” Cute but may be opaque to new members? 

Andrea, the kind of technical-yet-doesn’t-fit-well-elsewhere stuff I had in mind is things like the Schlieren imagery (BOS) that I did awhile ago to visualize airflow and also filter aberration. Also some stuff I haven’t presented much on yet, like my current research project on using photogrammetry to extract text from faded gravestones. 

I kinda think the Schlieren imagery is very technical. Because you were explaining the methodology and the science involved. So that topic is in the tech section. I just recently gave it the new Optical Effects tag. So now it will pop up on a search. I also gave that tag to the Birefringence images. 

Photogrammetry is a technical subject, too. I'm not sure if we have a tag for it though. I'm looking forward to seeing this when you get some time to show us. Would photogrammetry work on old carved rock art like petroglyphs which tend to erode over time?

I should give the Chronochrome (aka time series) images the Optical Effects tag also. Just thought of that.

Andy Perrin
12 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

Would photogrammetry work on old carved rock art like petroglyphs which tend to erode over time?

If it's carved it will work. My method reads the actual height of the surface, not the color of the surface, so if it's just painted on then it will not show up. Carvings will though.