UltravioletPhotography

The Pollen Changed Colour Overnight ?

colinbm

The Pollen Changed Colour Overnight ?
One of the pollen changed from Yellow to Cyan overnight ?
Pollen at 100x magnification.
The stage is smooth black anodised aluminium, but not at 100x magnification.

Yesterday

2023-02-25-01_27.48ZSPMax_Ninja-Sharpenlabelcropweb.jpg.9bbf15cca98eeaf6fc97ca5bdd79adc4.jpg

Today.

2023-02-25-12_36.54ZSPMax_Ninja-Sharpencroplabelweb.jpg.0069a330042a185f1ceae89215da0cbe.jpg

Tonight, they are both Cyan.
2023-02-25-08_28.29ZSPMax_Ninja-Sharpencroplabelweb.jpg.f7bcffc05900d455759957b0f07e7f9f.jpg

Wayne Harridge

Possibly due to chemical changes in the pollen, e.g. oxidation?

According to ChatGPT (dunno how reliable it is):

The length of time that pollen remains active for pollination can vary depending on the plant species and environmental conditions. In general, pollen can remain viable for a few hours to several days, or even weeks in some cases.

Factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to air and sunlight can affect the longevity of pollen. 

ChatGPT has been known to fabricate information. It should never be used as a source (until they fix it I mean).

While I am very skeptical of ChatBots just on general principles (like, do we really really need this kind of app? I don't think so), it is very likely true that the pollen in Col's photo has dried out a bit as well as aged a bit. 

Well, it’s certainly aged a bit! 😄

Seriously, though, the bots work by putting together bits of stuff they have seen, so if they saw something correct then it will be okay, and if incorrect, probably not okay. And no way to know the true sources that were combined to give the result. At least Wikipedia usually cites sources, this is actually worse. 

But it will always sound PLAUSIBLE. The bots are good at maintaining the internal logic of sentences, so everything looks superficially reasonable at a glance. All those factors probably do affect the longevity of pollen, it’s such a low bar to clear…but did we really learn anything we couldn’t have made up ourselves without reading anything?

Definitely very interesting seeing this happen Colin, wondering if this can be controllable, and how it affects pollination.

Wayne Harridge
On 2/26/2023 at 10:37 AM, Andy Perrin said:

ChatGPT has been known to fabricate information. It should never be used as a source (until they fix it I mean).

Yeah, it has been an interesting experience playing with it over the last few weeks!  I have deliberately asked questions for which I know the answer and most of the time the answers have been correct, but not always.  When challenged about an incorrect answer it does apologize!

Wayne Harridge
On 2/26/2023 at 12:48 PM, Andrea B. said:

While I am very skeptical of ChatBots just on general principles (like, do we really really need this kind of app? I don't think so), it is very likely true that the pollen in Col's photo has dried out a bit as well as aged a bit. 

I found this article about the viability of pollen after freeze drying and rehydration: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0011224075900425#:~:text=Freeze-dried pollen can be,lily and 15 for corn. 

It would be interesting to know if rehydrated pollen has the same color as Colin's first image.